Riders of the Midnight Sun (f+/f+) Chapter 20 Posted 2024-04-08

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
Ovi1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Ovi1 »

Great interlude!
I believe you would be a lot more comfortable in ropes
BlissfulMisery
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BlissfulMisery »

And finally more is revealed about the enigmatic Lady Maybelle. It seems she pulls the strings in both worlds, to some extent. Certainly explains why she is the type of person who seems to be used to always getting her way - this is even demonstrated with her own sons. Of course perhaps there is some rebellion brewing in that sense...
Shotrow wrote: 1 year ago "I know. You always do," Lee answered, "But I feel better knowing that for a few hours a day, you don't have to."
A touching line.

Overall an intriguing chapter that helps flesh out the world outside the confines of Happy Trails. Especially the periphery of it - as much as the implication might be of a perfectly ordered society, it is obvious this only goes so far, which certainly makes sense.
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all enjoyed this chapter. I struggled with writer's block about it for a long time, so I'm glad it turned out pretty decently. I think what threw me off is I was trying to give each story a "purpose" in the overall plot. Once I started thinking of them as standalone stories, it became easier, and I think I still managed to work in some characterization and foreshadowing.

Thanks to Mineira1986 for the banner!

Check out my stories on deviantart: https://www.deviantart.com/shotrow
trainer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by trainer »

I hope this story isn't abandoned, definetly one of my favourites of all time on here!
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Appreciate the interest! I haven't given up on it completely, but I've had a lot of other things on my mind lately. Thank you for the reminder though. I know there are others waiting for a conclusion. I can't promise I'll get back to it soon, but hopefully I will eventually.

trainer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by trainer »

Shotrow wrote: 3 months ago Appreciate the interest! I haven't given up on it completely, but I've had a lot of other things on my mind lately. Thank you for the reminder though. I know there are others waiting for a conclusion. I can't promise I'll get back to it soon, but hopefully I will eventually.
Glad to hear it!
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Chapter 20

"So you really think they'll let us through, after everything that happened yesterday?" asked Singing Laura as the sunny meadows of Rosewater faded into the shadows of the Brightleaf Forest.

Pretty Polly waved her hand dismissively from atop her grey pinto, whose name Singing Laura learned was Uluru. "I don't think we'll have any trouble with the Summer Campers."

The girls back at the ranch had explained to Singing Laura about the extortion scheme operated by the Summer Campers in the forest and how buying cookies from the brownskirts at the forest edge was the only sure way to avoid trouble. "I still don't have very much money…"

Singing Laura could hear the unnerving smile in Pretty Polly's voice, "Don't worry about it," Pretty Polly assured her, "This one's on me."

Singing Laura tried to take comfort in Pretty Polly's confidence, but if anything, it put her even more on edge. She kept a sharp eye out for anyone who might be a brownskirt. Sure enough, the sound of hoofbeats alerted the girls to the presence of such a girl, named Jumping Rosita Citrine, and mounted on top of a bay Welsh pony.

"Hello there, ladies…" Jumping Rosita greeted nervously, clutching the boxes of cookies under her arm tightly. "I was wondering if you might be interested in buying some tasty cookies today. All proceeds go to benefit the… Summer Campers…"

Singing Laura took a deep breath. "We don't want any trouble," she said and gestured back to Pretty Polly, "We'll take two, and she'll pay."

Pretty Polly nodded as Jumping Rosita rode up to her expectantly. "Yeah, just come a little closer. Right here…"

Before Singing Laura knew what was happening, her ears were split by the sound of a gunshot and Jumping Rosita slid off her saddle limply. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" screamed Singing Laura, "That wasn't the plan!"

"Relax," answered Pretty Polly nonchalantly, "They're not going to do anything to us. Half the Summer Campers are in jail, and the rest will be hiding out, licking their wounds."

Singing Laura glared as Pretty Polly dismounted to bind the stunned brownskirt.

"Look, if we hadn't done it, someone else would have. And maybe after a few unlucky travelers who hadn't heard about what happened yesterday go extorted for their hard-earned bits. It's just being a good citizen," she explained, "We should hang her up the way that weird forest girl did. Would really send a message."

"Can't we just… take her to the sheriff or something?" pleaded Singing Laura as Pretty Polly got to work.

"We don't know for sure she has a bounty here. Selling cookies isn't a crime. The game doesn't care about context."

Singing Laura sighed and slid off of her saddle to help. "At least warn me before you're going to start a fight again."

Pretty Polly shrugged. "Whatever you say, boss."

---

It wasn't hard for Singing Laura to understand why the Summer Campers had chosen these woods as their base. She could see a half-dozen shadowy spots where an attacker might be lying in wait at any moment. The thought kept her tense and alert despite Pretty Polly's reassurances. There's no question that the woods made tempting cover for bandits. At the same time, Singing Laura wondered if, deep down, any of the Summer Campers had truly appreciated how beautiful their home was.

"So what's the plan?" asked Singing Laura.

Pretty Polly blinked. "I was following you."

Singing Laura sighed in frustration. "I don't know what I'm doing! I started three days ago!"

"Really? I mean, I knew you were new, but three days… wow," replied Pretty Polly.

Singing Laura stifled her annoyance. For a moment, the two rode in silence, broken only by the hoofbeats of their horses and the sounds of the forest. Finally, Singing Laura spoke, "At least give me some options."

"Well… I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you're in. We can either rush to Fort Mallow and hope we don't run into any trouble along the way. Or…"

Singing Laura cocked her head inquisitively. "Or…?"

"Or we could stop in the forest town and acquire the checkpoint so we can respawn here tomorrow in case we don't make it all the way tonight. Normally, that would be a terrible idea, but with the Summer Campers out of the picture, things might be different."

Singing Laura pondered for a moment. "Let's go to the town. We don't really know for sure that our Forest Queen is at Fort Mallow… and maybe we'll meet someone in town who can help us. At least tell us more about who we're looking for or what's on the way."

Pretty Polly nodded. "Alright," she answered, "If I remember right, it should be just…" She looked ahead and then over her shoulder.

Singing Laura's stomach twisted, "You don't know?"

"I… it's been a long time since I went there, ok?" Pretty Polly answered defensively. "I know it's a bit off the main highway. There's a sign marking where you're supposed to turn, but it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it."

Singing Laura groaned, "And you weren't looking for it…"

"I told you, I was following you!"

"Well, I wasn't looking for it either I.." Singing Laura's heart leaped into her throat as the air was split with the sound of gunfire.

Pretty Polly seemed torn between wanting to comfort Singing Laura and laughing at the startled girl. In the end, she put her hand on the younger girl's shoulder. "It's ok. Whoever that is isn't shooting at us. They're probably just clearing varmints off their ranch."

Singing Laura took a few deep breaths. "Right…" she panted, pondering Pretty Polly's words. "Well, if there's a ranch around here, maybe we can go and ask them where the town is…"

Pretty Polly averted her gaze, clearly hesitant. "Maybe…" she agreed.

"What's wrong?" Singing Laura asked cautiously.

"It's just that it came from deeper in the woods. Leaving the highway is risky if you don't know the forest. We could end up wandering around lost until the reset," Pretty Polly answered. Suddenly, as if sensing that Singing Laura could see her anxiety, she pulled herself together. "But…no, it wasn't *that* far away, I think we can risk it. Come on, this way!"

Singing Laura followed Pretty Polly down the narrow side path, somewhat emboldened by the older girl's sudden confidence. She seemed to at least have an idea where the shots came from. At the same time, Singing Laura could understand why Pretty Polly had been so hesitant. The path was so twisted and windy that she had already lost sight of the highway and wasn't confident she'd be able to find her way back.

Suddenly, as if by magic, the cluttered forest landscape gave way to a bright and spacious field. The contrast was one of the most beautiful things Singing Laura had seen in Happy Trails. It was definitely a ranch; not nearly as big or lavish as Clever Anne's, but tastefully decorated and loving kept. Singing Laura' attention was drawn to a a herd of colorful deer creatures frolicking and feeding in a small pen surrounded by a short wooden fence. With almost no direction from her brain, Singing Laura felt her body directing her horse to the pen for a closer look.

"That's a white hind!" observed Pretty Polly with her voice full of excitement. "One of the rarest forest pets. We could get a pretty good price for…"

"Don't move. Hands where I can see them!" demanded a voice behind them.
Last edited by Shotrow 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Here it is, almost a year later! Thank you to the people who continued to express interest in the story over its long hiatus.

I think one of the reasons I had so much trouble with it is I was trying to hard to make the plot fit a certain plan. Throughout most of this story, I've just been improvising as I go, and I think that works better for this story. Later I had a vague idea of the direction I wanted the plot to go, but trying to force it just made things difficult.

Once again, I appreciate your patience and continued interest in this story!

AlexUSA3
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by AlexUSA3 »

It has been well worth the wait, too! Singing Laura is almost a magnet for trouble no matter who is alongside her. There just seems to be nothing but chaos afoot in Happy Trails.

Pretty Polly acts smarter and more knowledgeable than she really is, and that's a massive flaw to have in such a dangerous game.
CGC Short Stories (F+f+/F+f+): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20527
Find my other CGC Stories in the same link above!

BlissfulMisery
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BlissfulMisery »

Glad to see this story is not dead :)

An interesting contrast between the enthusiastic newbie and the bored veteran - obviously an extension of their previous dynamic, but it does work. Especially the last part where Polly is suddenly interested by the rare pet - something Laura probably doesn't even fully understand/appreciate/care about the value of.

Of course it instantly gets them into trouble - typical comedic timing. Nicely matches the type of pairing, even if it is a little stereotypical (but hey, there is a reason some things are stereotypes).

And 'brownskirt' is an amusing way to phrase it :P
Shotrow wrote: 2 weeks ago I think one of the reasons I had so much trouble with it is I was trying to hard to make the plot fit a certain plan. Throughout most of this story, I've just been improvising as I go, and I think that works better for this story. Later I had a vague idea of the direction I wanted the plot to go, but trying to force it just made things difficult.
Indeed, it seems like the type of story that works better when you go with the flow (while keeping the general themes in mind).
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

Nice to see you (and all the horse girls) back in action! The cliffhanger indicates we are in for some fun...
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Beaumains wrote: 2 weeks ago Nice to see you (and all the horse girls) back in action! The cliffhanger indicates we are in for some fun...
Could not agree more! Great Job!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic