Viking : pioneering with the rainbow butterflies (M/f)

Post stories from past authors here. Remember to give credit where credit is due!

Moderator: Archiver

Soraka
Archiver
Archiver

Viking : pioneering with the rainbow butterflies (M/f)

Post by Soraka »

by viking » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm
"pay attention now, you take this end of the rope and pull it around this side of the rope to make a loop. then you wind it around itself like this and tighten it" i said as i explained for Riley how to tie the knot needed to attach the rope. she just looked down at the logs i was tying together and responded with "WHAT? i didn't get any of that…"
i facepalmed and started to get really tired of this. i had explained it 3 times already and she still wouldn't catch on.

it had been some time now since the first meeting i had with the rainbow butterflies and so far i've had several meetings with them including orientation, first aid and cooking in the wild. the Norwegian national day was just around the corner and the scouts in our town would build a huge portal in the street.
this is a tradition they have been doing for as long as i can remember and since we knew for sure that pioneering would be a part of the championship i couldn't see any better opportunity for teaching the girls all they needed to know about it.

for those who doesn't know what exactly pioneering means, it is the art of using ropes and wooden spars joined by lashings and knots to create a structure.
the scouts uses it a lot for creating portals, dining-tables and even carousels. it was a sunny day and a lot of scouts had showed up, but my main priority today was to make sure that the girls learned how pioneering worked.
at some point it would mean this went a lot slower than if i had done it myself and one of the scout masters yelled at me at least 3 times for not working fast enough.

Riley was not learning anything at all, no matter how often i explained anything to her and showed her the knots she never remembered any of it.
Tanja and Ellie wasn't doing to bad but still needed more practice, meanwhile Kate, Sabella and Tara had not even showed up yet.
suddenly i heard a girl calling my name. Meg was done with her first piece of rope that she had used to attach two huge logs and now she wanted me to inspect her work.
i studied the ropes and did i get a surprise.

"holy diver…" was my response when i saw the bindings.
"Oh no, what did i do wrong?" Meg seemed a bit scared about the truth.
"nothing at all. this is perfect and i couldn't have done it better myself" i responded as i pulled the knot to see if it held the necessarily strength it needed.
"are you f***ing kidding me?" Meg said surprised.
"no i mean it, this is the best iv'e seen all day. are you sure you haven't done this before?" i had only showed Meg once how to wrap the rope around the logs in the shape of the number eight and how to chinch it afterwards, and she had already done a perfect job. unlike the other girls who needed me to show them several times Meg was a talent with tying ropes.
"HEY RILEY, TANJA AND ELLIE!" i shouted "take a look, this is how it's supposed to be done. keep up the good work Meg".

i backed off to inspect the other ropes while Meg just sat down on her knees with her mouth wide open.
she was in shock, i started wondering if she ever had gotten any compliments before.
but no matter what, i think she needed to hear this because it really boosted up her self-esteem at every scout meeting we had afterwards.
it took a while but we had finally managed to completed constructing the portal so now we just had to rise it and secure it.
this was easier said than done as we had to push 4 logs toward each other as we at the same time needed someone to support from the sides. it almost got a little dramatic when 1 of the logs we used to push from the side managed to break. as i stepped away to avoid getting hit by the other half of the log that broke off i heard a voice behind me saying "hey guys".

it was Tara, she was 14 years old at the time and had long blonde hair, though she wasn't the kinda person to work out she was quite athletic.
she was also a very… "special" girl if you'd like. she came up with the weirdest suggestions sometimes, and i should probably warn the readers that by the end of this story you might be in shock over what kind of things she would say to us.

"Tara, you are f***ing late!" i heard Riley shout at her as soon as she arrived.
"some welcome you are giving me" she responded.
the truth is, Tara was the one girl in the group that all the other girls couldn't stand. they wanted to switch her out and go to the championship without her, but i had explained it to them that it's not that simple. she had participated in the qualification round as a part of their group and that meant she was in the competition like it or not. the best thing they could do was to get along with Tara no matter what since one of the most important things they would get points for in the championship would be TEAMWORK.

anyway, i had gotten my self some length of rope and started climbing the side of the portal so i could fix the log that had broken. i'd rather risk hurting myself than one of the other scouts if another accident should happen.
as i climbed up i overheard Riley and Meg yelling at Tara about her being late and asking her if she even took the championship seriously.
i attached the broken log to the side and secured it to make sure it wouldn't fall down and cause any damage.
like a monkey a jumped down on the street right next to the girls and said "enough, we got a job to do. Riley, you and Meg can go over to that side and start securing those two logs."
i dragged out one end of the sisal rope we were using and gave it to Tara "pull, i will cut off the rope when i think it's long enough. then you give it to Meg and she can show you how it's done".
she did like i told and when the rope was about 7 meters long i took my knife and cut off before i started measuring another length that i could use.
we still had a lot to secure, and this was a rather advanced construction that would be about 15 meters tall (almost 50 foot).
Tara came back for more rope after a while and once again i told her to help me drag out the rope, but this time just for the fun of it she spin around so the rope got wrapped around her stomach covering up her white jacket. at this point i couldn't resist, as she was spinning around herself giggling i carefully lifted the rope so it went around her arms as well so they got pinned into the side of her body.
"NO! THAT WAS NOT WHAT I INTENDED" she said.
i responded with "we still need the rope to be slightly longer".
"oh, alright then" she kept spinning so the rope pinned her arms even more to her body before i finally cut off the rope.

"STOP FOOLING AROUND WITH THAT ROPE OVER THERE!" i heard one of the scoutmasters shout.
i quickly pulled the rope back as Tara started spinning around again in the opposite direction so the rope came off her.
"wohoo, is this what it feels like to be drunk?" she said as i gave her the rope we had gathered.
"not even close kid".

after an hour or something we finally seemed to reach the end of building the portal. we only had 5 more spots to secure, 1 at the bottom and 4 where we needed to climb in order to reach. it was getting late and most of the girls had gone home by now. the only ones left was Tara, Meg, Riley and a few of the boy scouts.
"i wanna climb! i wanna climb! i love climbing!" Meg said when i took out the first length of rope.
like a squirrel she went up while i had one of the other boys to climb the opposite side of the portal, i let Riley and one of the boys secure the bottom.
Tara just stood by watching and seemed to have a huge lack of interest in learning about this stuff.
"we need another length of sisal" i said and once again gave Tara one end of the rope pile "you know what to do".
she started spinning around again giggling as she let the rope tie her arms to the side of her body again. when the rope went around her body about 10 times i decided to cut off the length. but we didn't need it at once, i just wanted to prepare it for Meg so i could throw it up to her when she was done at the left side of the portal. so instead of dragging the rope back, this time i decided to just tie a knot and let her stay tied up until we needed the rope.

while Meg kept working on the portal Tara stood by and talked. about now Rodney, one of the rovers stopped by to see how it all went for us.
"hey Rodney, why are you showing up first now?" Meg asked him.
"sorry, i had to help out a friend of me with something" he said "how are you doing?"
i answered "good, we are almost done".
"Viking says i've got talent" Meg said as she kept winding the rope between the logs.
Rodney looked at me with a strange look and said "seriously? she has a talent for this?"
i just nodded.
"who did you meet?" Tara asked curiously.
"just a friend"
"girlfriend?"
"she's a girl yeah, but it's nothing like that".
"are you doing it with her?" Tara suddenly asked.
Rodney was shocked, he had his mouth wide open and stared at Tara "WHAT? NO!"
"why not, are you gay?"
"NO!!!"
"just admit it already, you like to take it in the hiney" Tara kept teasing him.

i heard the other boys laughing behind us as Rodney got even more shocked.
"excuse me, what kind of twisted f***ing mind do you have? you are like 15 years old!"
"i'm 14, thank you" Tara said very arrogant.
"14!? what the F***? this is not normal talk for a 14 year old girl!" Rodney shouted.
"actually it is, i think every 14 year old i know is talking like this nowadays" i said.
"hey Viking? i'm done!" Meg shouted from above me "should i start with the other side now?"
"yeah, just a minute" i said "Tara, i have to untie you now".
as i was about to grab the rope and untie Tara she suddenly did something i never had expected.
"NO!" she said.
"we need the rope" i stretched out my arm and tried to get to the knot so i could untie her when all of a sudden she stepped back and yelled as loud as she could "RAPE!!!"
no wonder why the other girls dislikes her.
Rodney and i looked at her with a strange look as i said "we need that rope to complete the construction, now let me untie you".
Meg seemed to be having enough too "Tara, seriously. we need that rope, now stop F***ing around" she said.
"fine…" Tara gave in and let me untie the rope around her body, then i passed it up to Meg so she could finnish the last log that needed to be secured.
Riley stood by and studied how Meg was doing, probably to learn some as well.

when Meg finally was done she hanged down from the log she was sitting on and started hanging from it instead.
"WOHOO!" she shouted with a big grin on her face "am i far above the ground?"
i couldn't resist, before she knew it i poked one of my fingers under her arms tickling her.
"WHAAAAH" she screamed as she tried not to fall down.
the others laughed at her as i helped her back down on the ground.

we agreed to have the next rainbow butterflies meeting the next monday to talk about things they needed to go trough before the championship. we still had a lot of work to do.