Burke : 07 - The Eyes Don't Lie (m+f+/mmm)

Post stories from past authors here. Remember to give credit where credit is due!

Moderator: Archiver

Canuck100
Archiver
Archiver

Burke : 07 - The Eyes Don't Lie (m+f+/mmm)

Post by Canuck100 »

Burke's stories
07 - The Eyes Don't Lie
Story index at the bottom

By Burke

Mon Jan 1 00:13:33 EST 1996

When we played our games, Billy and I were usually on the same side, as it was less confusing. The same held true for Mark and Jeff, next door.

But I remember one instance where we were split up, and the result uncovered something of an open secret, that was well known within our family, but not generally known outside the family.

We called the game "Capture," and the object was for one team to capture all the members of the other team, usually by tagging or touching the opponent. If you were caught, you were taken to the opposing base, and tied up.

For this game, my team was David, Nancy, Mark, and a new kid, Chris. The opposition was Cathy, Chuck, Jeff, Ray, and Billy. About five minutes in, Billy blundered into David, and was captured. David brought him back, and we tied his hands and feet, gagged him, and then tied his arms.

I saw him, and decided that we might be able to win, if I could pass myself off as Billy. After all, we were twins, and looked alike, and, like twins do, dressed alike. This ought to be a breeze.

Everybody said "Go for it!" except David, who said it wouldn't work. He tried to explain why, but was shouted down by the rest of us. So, knowing the risk (and the secret), I started out for the opposing base, with my teammates following at a discreet distance, except for Mark, who was left behind to guard Billy.

I spotted Chuck and Ray, and called them over. "Hey, you guys! I saw David and Burke trying to circle around! We can go down this way, and come in behind them!" Chuck was ready to follow my lead, but Ray took one look at me, and said "Bull!!" Grab him, Chuck! That's Burke!"

Chuck grabbed me, and held my hands together behind my back while Ray tied them. I protested, claiming that I was Billy, and on their team. I could see that Chuck had his doubts, but Ray was sure. My protests went unheeded, and were soon reduced to some loud "Mmmpfff's" after Ray gagged me with a long piece of stripped linen. I was marched back to their base, where my ankles and arms were tied. Satisfied that I was not going anywhere for a while, Chuck asked how he knew I was Burke, and not Billy. "I'm their brother. I just know - the same way you know Mark from Jeff."

Chuck said that he often got his brothers confused, and that Ray's explanation wasn't good enough - that there had to be more.

"The only way I can tell Burke and Billy apart, is when we play baseball. Then, I know!" he said. "There must be something else." (The reason Chuck could tell us apart on the ball field, was because I was right handed, and Billy was left handed.)

Ray said "OK, I'll tell you. Look in his eyes." Chuck took a good look at me, and said "Weird! I never saw anyone with different colored eyes before." Ray said "Which one is which?" Chuck replied that the right eye was blue, and the left one was green.

"That's right!" said Ray, and that's Burke. "But how do you know?" asked Chuck.

Ray replied that Billy was the opposite - a mirror image. "Billy's left eye is blue, and his right one is green.

"Here's something else!" said Ray, as he pulled the neck of my shirt over my left shoulder, to expose a small mole, or birthmark. "Billy has one just like it - on his right shoulder."

My cover had been blown and my identity confirmed. And all I could do, was sit there, and go "Mmmmmppfffff" through my gag.

But one thing did work in my favor, and that was that Ray and Chuck had wasted a bunch of time talking about Billy and me, and how to tell us apart. Cathy and Jeff had been caught, and joined Billy, tied up at our base, and the odds were now four on two, in our favor. (Actually three on two, as Mark remained at the base, guarding our prisoners.)
Chuck and Ray were still talking, when Nancy and David snuck up on them, tagged them, and made them captives. Chris got me untied, while Nancy and David tied Chuck and Ray.

Well, so much for secrets.

That night, I cornered Ray, and told him that the opposite mismatched eyes was not a secret to be bandied about. (Even though it was apparent to anyone who looked close enough.) "I might want to do that again, and the next time, you might be on my team!" Ray agreed, although somewhat reluctently. "And you better not EVER tell anyone that we are mirrored in more than just our birthmarks and eyes!" I told him. "We'll hang you up by your ears if you do!"