Posting images

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Posting images

Post by LK3869 »

Could anyone more competent than me point me the better way to include images in my posts ?
I did it with the "align" thing until now but I'm not sure it's completely stable under my poor old laptop browser... I'm concerned about images becoming unavailable and I'm not that willing to host them on Flickr. Maybe how i did it is the best way with this site, really don't know...
Thanks in advance.
don't run ! I'm friendly ...
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

If the "post in line" feture is still available, that's what I use. I post straight from my "pictures" folder. Not much help, I'm afraid.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

[mention]Xtc[/mention]
That seems to be working well, no sweat ;) was just wondering if I hadn't missed something obvious as I'm used to...
I'm still experimenting and getting to know the features. And this site will actually allow me to post several pages of stories in one post, you just can't do that on DA.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Agreed, but may I suggest that you post in chaptyers that are not too long, and that you leave readers time to find them and read them befoe posting the next one. People find huge chinks of material offputting.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

Will do that. Thanks for guidance.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

Seems I'm not the only one having troubles with the place-in-line tool allowing you to post several pics in one post...
Some attachments don't show or they don't disappear when you try to erase them. Making me think it's just a minor glitch, something about server capacity or refreshing intervals ( really not a pro )

Anyway, dived a little in the forums about phpBB, understood very little of it but found an extension that seems to be nice. Just started looking into it and have no idea if that's compatible with here...
Here's the link anyway:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2407621

What caught my attention is that it allows you to post without third party hosting, which I try to avoid at least for my drawings. Maybe I'm old school and that extension must consume ressources, but I do like direct posting straight from my hardrives...

My two cents on that :) Worst case, I'll try posting one pic at a time. Will beef up my posting records...
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

LK3869 wrote: 5 years ago I do like direct posting straight from my hardrives...
So do I. Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned (and just plain old) guy, but I do not trust online storage services and likely never will. Especially not with the kind of material this site is devoted to.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

Jason Toddman wrote: 5 years ago Especially not with the kind of material this site is devoted to.
Part of the problem, yes :D It's like asking for someone to host such things could turn into a potential offense someday, whereas if you keep them at home then it's less bad. Probably a bit irrational...
Then, it teaches me for posting too much material :mrgreen:
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

LK3869 wrote: 5 years ago
Jason Toddman wrote: 5 years ago Especially not with the kind of material this site is devoted to.
Part of the problem, yes :D It's like asking for someone to host such things could turn into a potential offense someday, whereas if you keep them at home then it's less bad. Probably a bit irrational...
I don't think so. Not in this day and age, where logic and reason seem to have gone completely out of style.
Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

Jason Toddman wrote: 5 years ago
LK3869 wrote: 5 years ago I do like direct posting straight from my hardrives...
So do I. Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned (and just plain old) guy, but I do not trust online storage services and likely never will. Especially not with the kind of material this site is devoted to.
I personally go with online storage services for my things, only because it is the cheapest option. I wish I had the money to get hardrives so that I could do it the old fashioned way. Also the online storage service I am able to access it whenever I want, which would not happen with the hardrive storage. But overall I’m always a little worried that one day I will not be able to access my stuff from it.
Pup
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup »

All th e pictures and GIFs I put on here are hosted on Flickr, set as moderate safety and not publicly searchable.
It's worth noting the image tag is broken, the button makes a tag with "image" when in order for it too work it has to be "img"
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

For what it's worth: the "align" command does work rather good but you'd better do it all in a raw: get your text ready then upload your pics all at once and THEN get them inserted into the message. Avoid the preview button when it's done because you'll have to redo it half the time :)
Better not to edit the pics afterward for now because they stay in the edited message unless you erase all attachments... Hope that's precise user feedback enough :D

I'll try to understand phpBB a little more to see if that extension I posted or any other is really usefull or not... That template or coding is supposed to be basic but forums devoted to it are quite cryptic...

As for the hosting thing, I know damn well it's the easiest way but still can't face having my kinky drawings on Flickr next to my buildings or cityscapes photos, and hate separated accounts. So not ready yet.

And [mention]Pup[/mention] , gotta tell you your avatar moving in loops is driving me mad :lol: (don't change it, it's fun. But distracting...)
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

LK3869 wrote: 5 years ago For what it's worth: the "align" command does work rather good but you'd better do it all in a raw: get your text ready then upload your pics all at once and THEN get them inserted into the message.
Actually I have never understood what the hell the align tab even does.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

It does seem redundant with the "image" tab, so guess it's a matter of preference or trying one before the other and using it out of routine. The "align" title suggests it's better for posting several pics... That's the way I saw it first but now I think the "image" tab may not have that "phantom attachments" problem I've encountered... Will try it.
Pup
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup »

LK3869 wrote: 5 years ago And @Pup , gotta tell you your avatar moving in loops is driving me mad :lol: (don't change it, it's fun. But distracting...)
I'd only ever change it if I made a GIF that annoyed people even more... 8-)
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

Pup wrote: 5 years ago
I'd only ever change it if I made a GIF that annoyed people even more... 8-)
Suspected so :lol:
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

LK3869 wrote: 5 years ago For what it's worth: the "align" command does work rather good but you'd better do it all in a raw: get your text ready then upload your pics all at once and THEN get them inserted into the message.
The align tab just aligns text to the screen. You have to change it to say
align=left for left aligned text.
align=center for center aligned text
align=right for right aligned text.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

[mention]chadmc90[/mention] : Hu yeah, I meant the "place in line" button in the attachment menu...
You see we're all just getting started :) Slowly learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic