How would you guys feel about me selling my collection?

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.

How would you feel if I was to sell bits and pieces of my collection?

Absolutely not. I would never spend money on any sort of content.
39%
I may consider purchasing content, so long as it was neatly compiled and I could specifically see and pick out what I was getting.
61%
I'd be okay with purchasing in bulk with broad preferences (type of tie, etc), but not many specifics.
No votes

Total votes: 28

SolidSnickerdoodle

How would you guys feel about me selling my collection?

Post by SolidSnickerdoodle »

Last edited by SolidSnickerdoodle 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

Eeehhhhh i dont know how others feel but ive always felt there was something a little off about hauling off and selling other people’s amateur content for profit
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
Pup
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup »

Gagfan wrote: 5 years ago Eeehhhhh i dont know how others feel but ive always felt there was something a little off about hauling off and selling other people’s amateur content for profit
I would have to agree.
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people out there who do it, and therefore must be a lot of people out there who think its fine, but it's always just felt weird to essentially by selling other peoples content.
Though you could just as easily argue it's a so called curators fee, but still a bit off, to me atleast.
SolidSnickerdoodle

Last edited by SolidSnickerdoodle 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Scottstud94
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Scottstud94 »

Why don’t you just share it for free.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

While I am sure we'd all love [mention]SolidSnickerdoodle[/mention] to share his collections for free, I can take his point about the time and effort he has put into compiling the collection. I know he has done it for his own interest but why shouls anyone else then benefit from his industry for free. I also get an uneasy feeling abut "selling" other people's content.
Personal approach: I have a large collection of "Stevie" pics that certain people on DA think it is their right to expect me to pass on to them. They occasionally get short shrift! Some, however, are polite and prepared to pay for anonymous subscriptions for other DA members nominated by me. Anyone who is not prepared to do that can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
harveygasson
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by harveygasson »

Scottstud94 wrote: 5 years ago Why don’t you just share it for free.
Because he's got over 1000 videos and I assume even more images that have taken years of effort and to a degree hard work to accumulate, categorise and now distribute for both trade purposes and, in many cases that I've seen, for free already. I think it's fair that if someone wants a large number and don't have things to trade back, then they maybe contribute something to a man who has done a lot to preserve and pass on this stuff that we all love so much....just my humble if useless opinion :D
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]SolidSnickerdoodle[/mention]
Both sides of the argument have been presented, though I hardly expect you to be surprised at the polarising reactions this has provoked. How you proceed from this point on, is entirely up to you.

Were I in your shoes, I would most likely be opting for a compromise.
Asking only a modest fee (ex: 10 USD) would seem to be the most socially acceptable option, if you are concerned with such issues.

One suggestion; any fee you stamp onto your collection would slide more easily if you emphasized the organisational work instead of the actual footage itself.
Feel free to embellish, emphasise and even exaggerated the amount of work/time you've put into categorizing everything. Potential buyers would be obtaining your personal TUG discography and benefiting from your organisational skills. Don't be afraid to put that at the forefront.

It should pass a little smoother than trying to simply convince folks to buy footage which others have created.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

I’m not going to vote in the poll as I have liked all three poll questions at some point when I have come back to this post. But I would more likely agree with bondagefreak with his suggestion as it would persuade me more so to go with a yes on the purchase. I don’t like the resale of someone else’s work, even if it isn’t Someone’s work that you have talked about in your description of how you would do it, but if you were to organize it in a certain way, than I would be more ok with it than. The one thing I do have questions about is would it be legal in the laws today to do something like that. I would suggest looking into American laws as this is where the site originates from.
Fesselfan
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Fesselfan »

My two advices are...
1) check the laws in the country you are from. It doesn't neccessarily matter where the site is located. You don't want to pay a fine...or even go to jail...for this. Just an example- in some countries, posting pics from tied-up minors, especially for money, is a safe way for some long-time jail "play" session...
2) Check back with the owners/creators of the pics and vids. This is a matter of courtesy, at least. You are using other persons stuff to earn money. Perhaps even against their will. So it might be neccessary to check licensing for each content part (free,Public, whatever)

Cheers

FF
Last edited by Fesselfan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rope is the sexiest lingerie. And there is only one thing better than rope- even more rope.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Hi [mention]SolidSnickerdoodle[/mention]
There has been much good advice here, especially from [mention]Fesselfan[/mention]
I know that you have in the past been generous by sharing your collections (Including with me, if I remember rightly) but I must point out that this site is NOT a selling site. Sorry!
Xtc
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

Is any of this paid content that required a fee or subscription? Selling anything like that even for videos no longer available from the original owner (like, say, the once popular Fighting kids videos from south Africa) can get you sued if found out about.
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

Xtc wrote: 5 years ago While I am sure we'd all love @SolidSnickerdoodle to share his collections for free, I can take his point about the time and effort he has put into compiling the collection. I know he has done it for his own interest but why shouls anyone else then benefit from his industry for free. I also get an uneasy feeling abut "selling" other people's content.
Personal approach: I have a large collection of "Stevie" pics that certain people on DA think it is their right to expect me to pass on to them. They occasionally get short shrift! Some, however, are polite and prepared to pay for anonymous subscriptions for other DA members nominated by me. Anyone who is not prepared to do that can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.
:cry:
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Sorrry if this upset you, Jason. I can't see why.
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

Xtc wrote: 5 years ago Sorrry if this upset you, Jason. I can't see why.
Seriously? It's because I'm one of the folks who have been pestering you for Stevie pictures. :oops:
Steak in a Tree
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Steak in a Tree »

M. Night Shyamalan plot twist right there.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

You have not! Not unless my memory is failing (which it is, but that's another matter - zzzzipp!)

Sorry if I have upset you, [mention]Jason Toddman[/mention] but I am not compalinng about people who are genrous about sharing their own work which you certainly are! I am complaining about the sort of request that goes, "Send me the picture that . . ." without even a 'please'. In extremis, there was one d***h*** who, when his description was nlot good enough to enable me to send the correct picture, simply said that I had got it wrong and would I put it right without so much as a 'thank you'.

Again, you are NOT the sort of person who makes me baulk at dong what they ASK. I believe I sent you the ones that I thought you would not have; the problem now is knowing which ones you don't have!
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

[mention]Xtc[/mention] Well, as long as I wasn't one of those folks that comment was aimed at, then okay.
I know hnow you feel about those requests though. People ask me to draw them stuff, and then nary a word of thanks or often not even an acknowledgment when I've made it for them. It's happened at the old Tiegamegames site loads of times; some by members of this new one too. One reason of many i don't do that much anymore unless it's something I'd have made for myself anyway.
And no before you reverse that on me i do NOT mean our collabs! :mrgreen:
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Jason Toddman wrote: 5 years ago
And no before you reverse that on me i do NOT mean our collabs! :mrgreen:
Oh goody, I'll continue writing the two proposals!
SolidSnickerdoodle

Last edited by SolidSnickerdoodle 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Trainedsub
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Trainedsub »

As someone who's day job is broadcasting, copyright and trademark are verrrry tricky beasts. You absolutely NEED to make sure the sites you got them from are free domain, you leave any watermark or logos, and leave a credit or link on EVERY SINGLE VIDEO. If you were giving it away that's one thing, but once you make a profit from distribution you start getting into some grey area. Personally, as long are your ducks are in a line, I'd say go for it. Just make sure three times that you aren't leaving anything out.
Your favorite boi- Trainedsub
Please sir... Not that again, I promise I’ll be good-
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic