Jennifer - Ransom. A Play (M/F)

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Jennifer - Ransom. A Play (M/F)

Post by StringTheorist »

Jennifer - Ransom -A TUG Play (M/F)

Setting: - 2 rooms, divided by a wall a little right of centre creating two rooms. The outside side walls taper in towards the back. The middle wall could taper to the insides of the rooms like a wedge to improve audience sight line.
- bachelor apartment right (from the perspective of the audience). Left side (common wall): double bed with pipe head and foot boards on casters, parallel to wall, head towards audience. Back wall: refrigerator, outside door, stove with shelves above. Shelves loaded with tins of spaghetti, pork and beans. Right side: simple wood table about 5', 2 wood chairs, door to bathroom towards audience - door hinged downstage, swings off stage so person at table can’t see in. Large clock with hands that can be set visible on right side wall.
- living room left side. Outside door at centre back. Large TV just to left of door. Sofa to right next to the middle wall, small table against left wall with the cordless base station. Rocker near left front. Doorway on left wall, near centre. Cordless phone on left sofa arm

Players
Mouse
Jennifer Frolic - good looker
George Frolic, Jennifer’s father - stoic
Geraldine Frolic - Jennifer’s mother - usually crying, disturbed, on-edge, hyper
Betty Frolic - Jennifer’s sister - ugly/homely, older than Jennifer
Grandmother - Jennifer’s grandmother - calm, collected
Big Man - intermediate boss
The Big Boss - Mafia boss
Jack the Snip - henchman
John - police Sargent - hostage negotiator
Antonio - police inspector - in charge
Thomas - police chief
Gord - police technician
Police officers (3)

Day 1 (Evening)

Curtain opens. Mouse in the apartment to the right, sitting at a small table, working with a stub of a pencil in a large book. The man is small, non-decrepit, unkempt, fitting his name, Mouse. Clock reads about 6:30. House to left in darkness.

Mouse sighs, crosses out the page he is working on, picks up the book so the audience can see it is a big book of simple Sudoku puzzles. He licks the pencil and begins a new game.

Light fades on the apartment. Jack and Big Man enter on the left side of stage apron, whisper, look across the stage, retreat in front of left proscenium.

Jack, whispering: HERE SHE COMES.

Jennifer enters from the right just behind main drape. She is a stunning young lady in her early 20s, dressed in blue skirt and blouse, small purse over her shoulder. She saunters across the stage, lit by a tight follow spot. As she heads off stage to the left, the two men jump out, grab her, one with a hand over her mouth. The purse drops to the floor by the proscenium arch. They exit to the left.

Light comes on in living room. Jennifer’s mother is watching TV, Father is reading, Grandmother is rocking, knitting.

Mother, looking at watch: JENNIFER SHOULD BE HOME SOON, DINNER IS NEARLY READY. SHE’S LATE.

Grandmother: ONE DAY JENNIFER WILL COME HOME WITH A MAN, AND SHE’LL BE GONE IN AN INSTANT.

Mother: SHE’S JUST A BABY. SHE WON’T GET MARRIED ANY TIME SOON.

Father: SHE’S TWENTY THREE.

Mother: WELL I DON’T THINK SHE’S READY. SHE’S STILL INNOCENT.

Father grimaces in negation. Grandmother smiles knowingly.

Mother: I WISH SHE WOULD CALL.

Lights fade on living room.

Lights come up in apartment. Clock reads about 7 PM

Mouse is still doing Sudoku, crosses out another game, turns the page.

The Big Man enters by the back door of the apartment, nods to the Mouse and looks around, including under the bed. A short time later Jack comes in, dragging Jennifer who is tied hand and foot, gagged, blindfolded. She’s deposited on the bed, face down, head towards audience. Mouse gets up and approaches the Big Man.

Big Man: ALL RIGHT, MOUSE, HERE’S THE BITCH. YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Mouse: YES, BOSS. KEEP HER HERE, SECURE. KEEP HER FROM ESCAPING.

Big Man: DON’T PLAY WITH HER, YOU KNOW THE BIG BOSS DOESN’T LIKE THE MERCHANDISE PLAYED WITH. BEFORE HIS TURN, THAT IS. ELSE, “SNIP.”

Mouse cringing.: YES BOSS.

Big Man: NOW IT’S TIME TO CALL HER FOLKS AND MAKE THE DEMAND.

Mouse takes a cell phone out of his pocket and a piece of paper with lots of numbers on it and dials a long string of numbers, gets irritated, cancels, then redials.

Big Man: HURRY UP.

Mouse: IT’S GOING THROUGH.

The Man: CLEVER USE OF THE INTERNET. CALL A LOCAL NUMBER, GO ACROSS THE NET TO A DISTANT COUNTRY, CALL OUT, BUT BACK INTO THE NET, THEN CALL OUT TO HER FAMILY.

The Man takes the cell phone from the Mouse.

Light comes up in the living room. The cordless phone rings.

Mother answers: HELLO?

Big Man: ARE YOU JENNIFER’S MOTHER?

Mother: YES.

Big Man: WE’VE GOT HER. THE RANSOM IS 5 MILLION DOLLARS IN UNMARKED $20 BILLS. IF YOU WANT TO SEE HER AGAIN, PAY UP; DON’T GO TO THE POLICE. WE’LL GIVE YOU 5 DAYS, THEN SEND YOU A SOUVENIR OF HER.

Jack prods the captive who makes a loud, muffled sound.

Mother looks ready to faint. Father takes the phone as the mother slumps onto the sofa.

Father: WHO IS THIS?

Big Man: NEVER MIND. FIVE MILLION RANSOM FOR THE RETURN OF YOUR DAUGHTER. SAVE AND SOUND IF YOU DO AS WE SAY, OTHERWISE...

Big Man ends the call.

Lights go off in the apartment.

Pandemonium erupts, with the mother hysterical.

Mother: OH MY BABY, OH MY POOR BABY.

Grandmother: WHAT’S SHE DONE NOW?

Mother, shouting: SHE’S BEEN KIDNAPPED. FOR RANSOM. FIVE MILLION, FIVE DAYS. DON’T CALL THE POLICE. OR THEY’LL HURT HER.

Grandmother, continuing to knit: CALM DOWN, QUIET DOWN, OR THE POLICE WILL HEAR YOU.

Grandmother, turning to the Father: WHAT DID THEY TELL YOU?

Father: ABOUT THE SAME. FIVE MILLION, FIVE DAYS.

Mother: SELL YOUR STOCKS. RIGHT NOW. GET THE MONEY FOR MY POOR BABY.

Father: IT’S SUNDAY, THE EXCHANGES AREN’T OPEN.

Mother: TOMORROW WHEN YOU GET UP.

Father: THE EXCHANGES DON’T OPEN TILL 10AM, FOUR HOURS AFTER I WAKE UP.

Mother, screaming: DO SOMETHING.

Father: I’LL CALL THE POLICE.

Mother: NO, NO. YES. DO SOMETHING.

Betty enters from the left door. She is as unattractive as can be, somewhat overweight: WHAT’S THE SHOUTING ALL ABOUT?

Mother, sobbing: JENNY’S BEEN KIDNAPPED.

Betty doesn’t seem to be upset at the news: HAVE THEY KILLED HER YET?

Father: THEY CALLED AND DEMANDED FIVE MILLION IN RANSOM.

Betty: DON’T PAY IT.

The audience can see that Betty is not unhappy with events.

Mother: GEORGE, DO SOMETHING.

Grandmother, calmly knitting: BETTER CALL THE POLICE

Father reaches for the phone.

Betty to Grandmother: YOU’VE STARTED KNITTING AGAIN. I THOUGHT YOU GAVE THAT UP A DECADE AGO.

Grandmother: MY EYES ARE GOING. SO IT’S SOMETHING TO DO WHEN I CAN’T READ.

Lights go out in living room

Lights come up in the apartment. Clock reads 9:30PM There’s some dishes on the table, and a can of spaghetti visible on the stove, along with a pot. Mouse is there trying another Sudoku. Jennifer still bound and blindfolded but sitting in the other chair, some food stains on her lips. Finally Mouse yawns.

Mouse: IT’S TIME YOU WENT TO BED.

Jennifer: THEN UNTIE ME AND LET ME GO TO BED.

Mouse: BUT NOT IN BED UNTIED.

Jennifer: I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM FIRST.

Mouse gets up and takes the end of a chain from the floor, then finds a padlock, and the key, which he puts in his pocket. He goes over to Jennifer and wraps the chain about her waist.

Mouse: PULL IN YOUR BELLY.

Jennifer pulls in her belly. Mouse fastens the chain tightly. Then he puts on a mask over his head, with slits for him to see out. He removes her blindfold, unties her feet, then releases her hands. She puts them over her eyes, blinking, rubbing for several seconds.

Jennifer: I NEED TO GO TO THE WASHROOM.

Mouse, pointing to a side door: THERE. LEAVE THE BATHROOM DOOR OPEN. THE CHAIN WILL ALLOW YOU TO REACH THE TOILET. THE WINDOW IS SEALED. IF YOU SCREAM OR DRAW ATTENTION, I’LL COME IN AND DEAL WITH YOU. SNIP. YOU HAVE 5 MINUTES STARTING NOW.

Mouse looks at his watch, sits at the table and starts another Sudoku after crossing off the last one. Jennifer struggles to her feet, passes the table, goes through the indicated door, and automatically closes it.

Mouse, without looking up: LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN.

Jennifer opens the door, chain clinking.

Mouse can’t see in the bathroom while sitting at the table.

Lights fade, then come back. Clock advanced by 5 minutes.

Sound of toilet flushing.

Mouse looks at his watch, waits a few seconds: COME OUT, YOUR FIVE MINUTES IS UP.

Jennifer appears at the door, a dirty damp towel in her hand.

Jennifer: THAT PLACE IS A PIG STY.

Mouse: IT WORKS, DON’T IT? NOW GET OVER TO THE BED.

Mouse gets up and pulls the worn woollen blanket off the bed. Jennifer comes over, lies down where indicated, head to the audience. Mouse ties her hands together to a metal bar in the headboard, then ties her feet together and to a metal bar in the foot board. He puts the blindfold back on, then puts on the gag. Lastly he removes the chain.

Mouse, removing his mask: YOU WON’T SLEEPWALK TONIGHT.

Mouse reaches under the bed and pulls out an air mattress and a blanket, sets it on the floor, lies down and covers up.

Light fades.

ST
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

I like this set up very much! Don´t let us wait to long for the next Scene :)
StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Day 2 MORNING

A morning looking light comes in the living room. Grandmother is in a house coat, the mother and father are dressed from last night. Betty has changed. There is a large picture of Jennifer in a bright dress on the table.

There is a knock at the door. Father goes over and opens it.

Antonio, the police Inspector enters, followed by John, the hostage negotiator, young looking, and Gord, the police technician, also young and good looking, carrying a large case.
Meanwhile, on the apron, the three policemen are conducting a search around the left and right proscenium, but are not brightly lit.

Inspector: MR. FROLIC?

Mother: DID YOU FIND HER?

Father: YES?

Inspector: WE HAVE A REPORT OF A KIDNAPPING OF ONE JENNIFER FROLIC. IS THAT CORRECT?

Father: YES, WE GAVE ALL THE DETAILS LAST NIGHT.

Inspector, indicating the others: I HAVE SARGENT JOHN AND TECHNICIAN GORD WITH ME. I WANT TO GO OVER WHAT YOU SAID LAST NIGHT...

Father: WE TOLD EVERYTHING WE KNOW.

Inspector: ...IN CASE YOU OVERLOOKED SOME POINT. SARGENT JOHN IS OUR HOSTAGE NEGOTIATOR FOR THIS CASE, AND GORD WILL SET UP THE WIRE TAPPING AND TRACING EQUIPMENT. WHERE WOULD BE CONVENIENT?

Father, pointing to the table: I GUESS HERE IN THIS ROOM.

Betty, to Gord: I CAN SHOW YOU WHERE THE PHONE BASE IS.

Grandmother notes the interaction, continues knitting.

The lights dim to half as Betty shows Gord the base station for the phone, the Inspector and Hostage negotiator interview the members of the household. Gord opens his case, attaches some wires to the telephone, takes out a laptop. Betty scurries to plug it in.

Mother sobs from time to time: OH MY BABY.

Lights come up on the policemen searching the front of the stage. Outside, one of the policemen find the purse, waves his arms at the other policemen, continue the search drifting off to the left.

Light comes up in the apartment. Clock reads 8:30.
Jennifer is standing in the middle of the floor on some books, wrists tied and held above her head by a rope over some support and which runs down to a cleat on the wall, blindfolded. Mouse has taken off his mask. Mouse has just fed her some hot cereal that clearly wasn’t to her taste, some left on her chin.

Jennifer: THAT TASTES AWFUL.

Mouse: IF IT WAS POSSIBLE, I’D BURN WATER. IT JUST COOKED SO FAST. MORE?

Jennifer shook her head: I’M NOT MUCH OF A BREAKFAST FAN.

Mouse: IT’S TIME TO LET YOUR PARENTS KNOW YOU ARE STILL ALIVE.

He takes out his cell phone, enters a lot of numbers, with pauses in between. Eventually he hears a ring tone.

Lights come up in the Living Room.

The Inspector has left. Betty is watching Gord doing something on his laptop. Grandmother is knitting, Father is quietly talking to John, the Hostage Negotiator, and Mother is continuing in her imminent nervous breakdown. The phone rings.

John answers: HELLO?

The phone is loud enough that everyone can hear the conversation.

Mouse: WHO IS THIS?

John: MY NAME IS JOHN, AND I’M HELPING THE FAMILY. WHO DO YOU WANT TO TALK TO?

Mouse, to Jennifer, holding out the cell phone: TELL THEM YOU’RE ALIVE

Jennifer loudly: I’M ALIVE, BEING HELD HOSTAGE.

John: WHO ARE YOU?

Jennifer, overhearing the call: THAT’S NOT MY FATHER.

John: TO WHOM AM I SPEAKING?

Mouse: YOU’RE THE FUZZ. THEY WERE TOLD NOT TO CALL THE POLICE. THE PRICE HAS JUST GONE UP TO 10 MILLION.

Mouse leans on the rope holding Jennifer; her weight is taken by her wrists, and she screams.

Mouse presses the disconnect key.

Lights fade in the apartment as Jennifer regains her footing.

Mother screaming: OH MY POOR BABY, THEY’RE TORTURING HER.

Grandmother, aside: AT TIMES THAT WOMAN NEEDS A LITTLE TAKING IN.

Gord, frantically typing at the laptop: I’M TRACING THE CALL NOW. HMMM, DAMN, IT COMES FROM SKYPE, ONE OF THE TELEPHONE OVER THE INTERNET NUMBERS.

Gord types some more, Betty looking over his shoulder.

Father: WHAT DID THE CALLER SAY?

John: YOU HEARD EVERYTHING.

Mother: MY POOR TORTURED CHILD.

Gord: I’M CONNECTING INTO SKYPE.

Gord types some more.

Gord: I’M INTO SKYPE, LET ME SEE, QUERY THE TIME OF THE CALL, LET’S SEE.

All eyes are on him

Gord: GOOD HEAVENS, THE CALL CAME FROM TOBAGO

Father: WHERE’S THAT?

Betty: IT’S AN ISLAND IN THE CARIBBEAN.

Mother, wailing: MY PRETTY LITTLE JENNY HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT OF THE COUNTRY. THERE ARE CANNIBALS DOWN THERE, CANNIBALS FROM THE CARIBBEAN.

Betty: AND IT’S HURRICANE SEASON DOWN THERE.

Mother continues in her fit.

John: MAYBE THE CALL WAS ROUTED THROUGH THERE, AND SHE’S STILL HERE. WITH AIRLINE SERVICE LIKE IT IS, IT’S UNLIKELY SHE COULD BE THERE BY NOW.

Gord: I LOST THE TRAIL AT TOBAGO. BUT I CAN TRY TO TRACE THE ACCOUNT HE USED.

Gord goes back to his typing.

Father, to John: IN YOUR EXPERIENCE, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

John blushes: I CAN’T SAY FROM EXPERIENCE. THIS IS MY FIRST CASE. BUT IN OTHER CASES...

Mother has another fit of sobbing: WE’LL NEVER GET HER BACK. GEORGE, YOU SHOULD PAY THE RANSOM.

Betty, hopefully: YOU’VE STILL GOT ME.

Father, aside: I DOUBT WE’LL EVER GET RID OF HER.

Father, to the group: I HAVE SOME WORK TO DO ON MY COMPUTER IN MY DEN.

Lights dim.

Lights come up in the apartment. Clock reads 12:30 afternoon. Mouse has his mask on, and is holding onto the chain leading into the bathroom.

Jennifer returns, amazed: YOU’VE CLEANED UP THE BATHROOM, IT’S MUCH NICER. EVEN SMELLS A LITTLE FRESHER.

Jennifer sticks out her hands for them to be retied. The wrists look a little red.

Jennifer: DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO STAND WITH MY HANDS TIED ABOVE MY HEAD? MY SHOULDERS HURT.

Mouse, holding a piece of rope: I SUPPOSE NOT, I NEED ANOTHER PICTURE OF YOU ANYWAY.

He turns her around, ties her hands behind her back, then to the rope hanging from the ceiling.

Mouse: UP ON THE BOOKS.

Jennifer moves onto the books, and Mouse pulls her hands up with the rope.

Jennifer: OUCH, THAT HURTS.

Mouse, taking out his cell phone, takes several pictures of her in a very painful position, bent over, arms raised high in the air.

When he is finished, he releases the rope, lowers her arm, undoes the rope he used to pull her arms high, sits her in a straight backed chair.

Jennifer: THAT’S MORE COMFORTABLE, OR RATHER, MUCH LESS UNCOMFORTABLE. BY THE WAY, HOW LONG AM I GOING TO BE KEPT?

Mouse ties ropes around her and the chair, adds her blindfold, removes his mask.

Mouse: YOU HEARD THE FIRST CALL, FIVE DAYS WERE GIVEN. BUT THEY ALWAYS GIVE A COUPLE MORE - HEIGHTENS THE SUSPENSE.

Jennifer: WELL, I’LL NEED SOME THINGS. MY PERIOD STARTS IN A FEW DAYS. AND SOME CLEAN UNDERWEAR, AT LEAST, WOULD BE NICE.

Mouse: I HAVE A PICTURE TO SEND.

He picks up the cell phone, enters some numbers, waits, enters.

Lights fade on apartment

Lights come up on in the living room

Present Mother, Betty, Gord, John. Father enters carrying some paper

Father: THERE’S SOME EMAIL FROM THE KIDNAPPERS WITH A PICTURE OF JENNIFER.

He holds up one of the pictures taken by Mouse.

Mother has hysterics: OH MY POOR BABY.

Gord: MAY I SEE THE EMAIL?

Father hands him a piece of paper which he examines.

Gord: THIS WAS SENT FROM THE SOLOMON ISLANDS.

Mother: Where?

Betty: HE SAID THE SOLOMON ISLANDS. WAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN.

Mother: HOW DID MY INNOCENT DAUGHTER GET THERE?

Gord: I DON’T THINK SHE’S THERE. BUT I’LL TRY CHASING THIS MESSAGE.

Gord sits at his computer, starts typing. Betty comes over and watches.

Lights fade.

MTC

ST

StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Day 3

Lights come up in the apartment. Jennifer is standing on the books, arms in the air tied to the rope, blindfolded. Mouse is in the process of adding a gag.

Mouse, apologetic: I’M SORRY, I KNOW THAT YOU DON’T LIKE TO BE THIS WAY. BUT I HAVE TO GO OUT FOR A BIT, AND I CAN’T HAVE YOU ESCAPING OR RAISING A RUCKUS. I’LL BE AS FAST AS I CAN.

Mouse puts on a jacket, leaves.

Jennifer squirms trying to free herself. A book slides out and she is stretched higher than before, so she stops squirming.

Light fades in the apartment.

Light comes up in the living room. Grandmother, Father present.

Grandmother, knitting: Well, what have you done?

Father: I’VE SOLD MOST OF MY STOCKS, MUCH MORE THAN THEY ARE ASKING. IT’S THAT IT TAKES 3 DAYS BETWEEN THE SALE AND WHEN I GET THE MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT, SO I COULDN’T GET MORE IF THEY UPPED THE DEMAND.

Grandmother: GOOD, BUT DON’T TELL GERRY; SHE’LL SPILL THE BEANS.

Father nods: RIGHT.

Grandmother: MY BONES TELL ME EVERYTHING WILL TURN OUT ALL RIGHT.

Father: I HOPE SO.

Lights fade in the living room.

Lights come up in the apartment. The clock shows 1:30.

Back door opens.

Mouse: HELLO, SORRY I WAS SO LONG. I HATE SHOPPING.

Mouse reenters, with several bags, notices that the books have slipped under Jennifer, and immediately goes over to her and replaces them. Then he undoes the gag.

Mouse: I HAVE WHAT YOU NEED, INCLUDING SOME NEW UNDERWEAR. I GOT A B CUP, I HOPE THAT’S OK, AND FOUR PAIRS OF PANTIES.

Jennifer, croaking: THAT WILL DO. MY MOUTH IS SO DRY.

Mouse digs into a bag and gets a drink box, installs the straw, and holds it up for a sip. Jennifer takes a long drink.

Jennifer: THANK YOU.

Mouse: YOU’RE WELCOME IT’S TIME TO SEND A MESSAGE TO YOUR FAMILY THAT YOU ARE ALIVE.

Mouse digs out his cell phone, enters a lot of numbers, muttering: IT’S SO HARD TO GET THE NUMBERS RIGHT. I EVEN HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE SUDOKU.

Mouse: WHEN I GET THROUGH, TELL THEM YOU’RE OK, TELL THEM HOW YOU ARE STANDING. ASK THEM IF THEY HAVE THE MONEY. TELL THEN THAT IF THEY DON’T GET IT SOON, IT WILL BE SNIP TIME.

He holds the phone up so she can talk.

Light comes up in the living room. Present Father, Mother, Grandmother, Betty, John and Gord.

Mother is sobbing, Grandmother knitting, John by the phone, Betty watching Gord at his laptop.

The phone rings, John answers:

John: HELLO

Jennifer: IT’S ME, JENNIFER. CAN I TALK TO MY MOTHER?

John: ARE YOU FREE?

Jennifer: NO FAR FROM IT. I’M STANDING WITH MY HANDS TIED AND PULLED HIGH OVER MY HEAD, LIKE THE FIRST DAY. IT’S PAINFUL.

John: ARE YOU OK?

Jennifer: SO FAR, YES. HAVE YOU GOT THE MONEY?

John: NO. CAN YOU PUT THE MAN ON? AT LEAST I PRESUME THAT YOUR CAPTOR IS STILL A MAN.

Jennifer: HE’S HOLDING THE PHONE SO I CAN TALK. HE’S NOT HURT ME BUT HE TOLD ME THAT IF YOU DON’T GET THE MONEY, IT WILL BE SNIP TIME, WHATEVER THAT MEANS. BUT HE HAS BEEN GENTLE, HE EVEN WENT OUT THIS MORNING AND BOUGHT ME SOME CLEAN UNDERWEAR, FOUR PANTIES, A BRA THE RIGHT SIZE, AND SOME HYGIENE PRODUCTS.

Mouse takes the phone away, presses a button to disconnect.

Mouse: WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE A BATH AND CHANGE INTO THE CLEAN STUFF?

Jennifer’s face lights up into a smile.

Lights fade in the apartment.

In the living room, John hangs up the phone.

Gord, at his computer: THAT CALL CAME FROM NIGERIA.

Mother: NIAGARA?

Betty: NO, NIGERIA, IN AFRICA.

Mother, crying: OH, MY BABY, TAKEN TO BLACKEST AFRICA. PROBABLY TO BECOME SOME BODY’S DINNER, STUFFED INTO A BIG IRON POT, COOKED ALIVE.

Mother continues crying.

John, to Gord: AT LEAST WE HAVE SOMETHING TO GO ON, A MAN BUYING...

Lights fade in the living room

Lights come up in the apartment. Clock 2:00

Jennifer comes out of the bathroom, hair wet, looking refreshed, chain tight around her waist.

Mouse has on his mask and has been working on Sudoku in his book. Jennifer notices the book, and looks at it, then sticks out her hands to be tied.

Jennifer: MY SHOULDERS HURT; CAN I BE FREE FOR A BIT BEFORE YOU TIE ME BACK UP?

Mouse pulls her hands behind her back, ties them quickly, adds a blindfold, leads her to the bed. When she is lying on the bed facing the table, he ties her ankles and knees, then puts a pillow under her head.

Mouse: I HAVE MY ORDERS TO KEEP YOU TIED UP ALL THE TIME, OR IT’S SNIP TIME FOR ME.

Jennifer: WHAT DO YOU MEAN, SNIP TIME?

Mouse: THE BIG BOSS, HE LIKES TO CUT OFF PARTS OF PEOPLE TO PERSUADE THEM TO TALK. ONE OF THE MEN WHO BROUGHT YOU HERE HAS A PAIR OF GARDEN SNIPERS. WORKS GREAT ON FINGERS, TOES, EARS. SOMEWHAT MESSY. IF THE MONEY DOESN’T COME SOON, THEY’LL CUT OFF A FINGER OF YOURS AND SEND IT TO YOUR PARENTS.

Jennifer shudders: THAT’S HORRIBLE.

Mouse: THEY GOT THE IDEA FROM SOME JENNIFER TILLEY MOVIE, WHERE SHE IS TIED UP. BOUND, OR SOMETHING. SOME MAN, THEY TOOK HIM INTO THE BATHROOM, STUCK HIS HAND OVER THE TOILET BOWL, CUT HIS FINGER OFF AND FLUSHED IT DOWN THE DRAIN. THE CUTTERS MAKES A “SNIP” SOUND.

Jennifer: SO IF I ESCAPE, THAT’LL HAPPEN TO YOU?

Mouse, pointing at his groin: MOST LIKELY THEY’LL DO MY ELEVENTH FINGER.

Jennifer shudders.

Mouse: ARE YOU COMFORTABLE?

Lights fade.

MTC

ST

LunaDog
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LunaDog »

I REALLY like the way that you told this story, something VERY different from the 'normal' way. But, you did so superbly. An enjoyable read. Well Done.
StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Thanks @LunaDog

Its nice to hear my stories are a little different.

Next instalment follows. Maybe. I keep getting some SQL errors. ST
StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Day 4

Lights come up in the living room, towards end of the day

John and Gord are present.

Gord: No calls, no email today.

John: THAT’S RIGHT. BUT THEIR DEADLINE WAS FIVE DAYS, WE DON’T KNOW WHETHER THEY COUNT THE DAY OF THE KIDNAPPING AS THE FIRST DAY. NO COMMUNICATION ABOUT RANSOM THOUGH POLICY IS NOT TO PAY. DON’T WANT KIDNAPPING TO BECOME A GROWTH INDUSTRY.

Gord: ANY NEWS FROM THE UNIFORMED SIDE?

John: No. YOU’D NEVER BELIEVE THE NUMBER OF PLACES THAT SELL CLOTHES, FEMININE PRODUCTS. NEARLY EVERY CONVENIENCE AND CORNER STORE. THE BIG CHAINS ARE HELPING WITH SEARCHING THEIR COMPUTER RECORDS, THOUGH NO LUCK SO FAR, EVEN THOUGH WE CAN PINPOINT THE DAY. YOU’D THINK SOMEONE WOULD QUESTION A MAN - WE PRESUME A MAN - ABOUT PURCHASING A BRA, WOMEN’S UNDIES, AND TAMPONS. THE CHIEF IS TALKING ABOUT PUTTING OUT A BROADCAST ON TV.

Gord: THE WORD WILL GET OUT. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD TRY TO SEARCH, HACK INTO SOME OF THE DEPARTMENT STORE COMPUTERS?

John: NO, WE’RE GETTING THEIR CO-OPERATION.

Lights fade

Lights come up in the apartment. Clock reads 9:30 PM. Mouse is at the table crossing out another Sudoku. The chain leads into the bathroom.

Mouse looks at his watch: YOUR TEN MINUTES IS ALMOST UP; BED TIME.

Jennifer from off stage: COMING. YOU MAKE ME HURRY TOO MUCH.

The chain sags, and Jennifer returns, in her new underpants and bra, chain locked tightly about her waist.

Jennifer, coyly, sexily: I WAS THINKING, IT’S A BIG BED AND YOU MUST BE UNCOMFORTABLE SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR. MAYBE ...

Mouse: CAN’T.

Jennifer: CAN’T? DID YOU LOSE YOUR, ER, ELEVENTH FINGER, I THINK YOU CALLED IT.

Mouse: NO, THE BIG BOSS WOULD FIND OUT. HE WANTS THE MERCHANDISE FOR HIMSELF FIRST, THEN THE NEXT ONES DOWN THE CHAIN. I’D BE ONE OF THE LAST. ELSE, SNIP.

Jennifer: BUT NO ONE NEEDS KNOW. IT’S NOT AS IF I WAS, WELL, INNOCENT.

Mouse: HE’D KNOW, OR FIND OUT, SOMEHOW. GET A COPY OF YOUR POLICE TRANSCRIPT, DEBRIEF, WHATEVER.

Jennifer: YOU DON’T LIKE ME?

Mouse: ON THE CONTRARY, YOU ARE VERY NICE. I HAVE THOUGHTS, BUT...

Jennifer, putting a hand on his head and smiling: YOU ARE TRYING TO BE A GENTLEMAN.

Mouse relishing the physical contact: NO, I’M NOT, A GENTLEMAN WOULD RELEASE YOU.

Jennifer: I SENSE SOMETHING DEEPER IN YOU.

Mouse looks startled.

Jennifer: WHAT IS THAT GAME YOU ARE DOING IN THAT BOOK ALL THE TIME?

Mouse: IT’S SUDOKU. I’M TOLD IT IS EASY.

Mouse holds up the book, which has a cover 1000 easy Sudoku puzzles.

Mouse: YOU HAVE TO FILL IN THE NUMBERS FROM ONE TO NINE, IN THE LITTLE CELLS, SO THAT THERE IS EXACTLY ONE OF EACH NUMBER IN EACH ROW, COLUMN, AND BLOCK OF NINE. BUT I ALMOST NEVER GET IT.

Jennifer: I’VE HEARD OF IT.

Mouse: BETTER GET YOU TO BED NOW. YOU CAN TRY ONE TOMORROW.

He gets up, leads her over to the bed, pulls it out from the wall so he can walk all around it. He pulls down the covers, has her get in, and proceeds to tie her spread eagled on the bed, then removes the chain. Then he took his cell phone and takes some pictures. He covers up Jennifer, adds the blindfold, pushes the bed back, then sends the pictures off.

Mouse: THERE, THAT SHOULD MAKE THEM THINK. GOODNIGHT, JENNIFER.

Jennifer: GOODNIGHT, WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS.

Mouse: MOUSE.

Jennifer: GOODNIGHT, MOUSE.

MTC. ST

StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Day 5

Lights come up in the living room. Father, Mother, Betty, John and Gord are present, watching TV

Announcer: THE POLICE HAVE ASKED US TO PUT OUT A BROADCAST BUT THEY WON’T TELL US WHY, JUST THAT IT’S IMPORTANT. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A MAN WHO MAY HAVE BOUGHT SOME WOMEN’S CLOTHING, UNDERWEAR AND BRASSIERE TWO DAYS AGO, AND SOME FEMININE HYGIENE PRODUCTS. IF YOU HAVE SEEN SUCH A PERSON, PLEASE CONTACT THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AT 555-6969.

Announcer: IN OTHER NEWS, THE SLIDE IN THE STOCK MARKER WHICH STARTED 3 DAYS AGO WHEN A BIG INVESTOR STARTED SELLING OFF HIS HOLDINGS CONTINUES. IN THE LAST FEW DAYS, THE MARKET HAS LOST ONE THIRD. FOR MORE DETAILS WE GO TO OUR BUSINESS REPORTER...

John turned off the TV.

John: OUR BEST HOPE IS THAT SOMEONE WILL REMEMBER THE SALE, AND WILL COME FORWARD. WE JUST HOPE HE DOESN’T HAVE A WOMAN ASSISTANT WHO ACTUALLY WENT OUT AND BOUGHT THE GOODS.

Mother has another of her fits: MY POOR INNOCENT ONE. SHE’S NEVER EVEN HAD A BOYFRIEND. AND NOT THIS.

Betty [aside]: I WISH I HAD A BOYFRIEND. OR EVEN WAS KIDNAPPED. AS LONG AS HE WAS HANDSOME, AND DIDN’T HURT ME, TOO MUCH.

Betty: SHALL I MAKE DINNER AGAIN?

Lights fade
Lights come up in the apartment. Clock 7:30 PM

Jennifer is tied to a chair with the chain on, but her hands are free. She is not blindfolded, nor is Mouse wearing a mask. Mouse is in the other kitchen chair sitting beside her at the table. She is holding a pencil over the Sudoku book.

Jennifer: NOW YOU SEE, IF YOU HAVE TWO CELLS IN A COLUMN IN A BLOCK THAT MUST CONTAIN TWO NUMBERS, AND THE NUMBERS CAN’T GO IN ANY OTHER PLACE IN THE BLOCK, THEN NO OTHER NUMBERS CAN GO IN THESE CELLS, AND MUST GO ELSEWHERE IN THE BLOCK.

Mouse: OH YES, I SEE. SO THAT CELL THERE MUST BE A NINE.

Jennifer: THAT’S RIGHT.

Lights fade.

MTC

ST

Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Just one word! Excellent!
StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Day 6

Lights come up in the living room. There are two boxes stacked by the TV. Present are the Father, Mother, Grandmother, Betty, John, Gord.

The phone rings.

John answers: HELLO.

Voice of Big Man: Have you got the ransom?

John: NO, IT TAKES TIME TO COLLECT THE MONEY. WHO’S TALKING?

Voice: NEVER MIND, YOU’RE THE FUZZ. PUT ON JENNIFER’S FATHER.

John: HE’S NOT AVAILABLE.

Voice: TELL HIM TO PUT THE MONEY INTO TWO SUITCASES, AND BE READY TO DRIVE BY HIMSELF TO THE AIRPORT TOMORROW AFTERNOON, AND KEEP HIS CELL PHONE ON. OH, YES, TAKE HIS PASSPORT, AND SOME CLOTHES. OTHERWISE, SNIP. THERE WILL BE ANOTHER CALL.

Voice hangs up.

Betty, at Gord’s computer: I SHOULD FIRST SEARCH THIS...

Gord beside her: YES.

She types.

Betty: OH, IT LOOKS LIKE THE CALL CAME FROM BOSNIA.

Mother: BOSTON?

Betty: NO, BOSNIA, WHERE THE SERBS ARE KILLING THE OTHERS, AND EACH OTHER . PART OF THE OLD YUGOSLAVIA.

Mother: THAT’S WHERE THE GYPSIES ARE. MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY THE GYPSIES, WITH THEIR MAGIC. THAT’S HOW THEY MOVE HER AROUND THE WORLD.

Mother cries.

Grandmother, knitting: I THINK SHE’S NOWHERE NEAR THERE. SHE’S SAFE AND SOUND IN TOWN, I KNOW IT IN MY BONES.

John: I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS CALLED THE POLICE ABOUT WHERE HE BOUGHT THE CLOTHES?

Light fades in the living room.

Lights come up in the apartment. Clock 8:00 PM

The table has been turned so the long direction is towards the audience. There is the remnants of dinner on the table, a part bottle of wine, napkins, a couple of covered dishes.

Jennifer is sitting upright in one chair on the right, tied to the chair but with her hands free. The chain is fastened to her waist. She is looking pretty good. Mouse is sitting opposite her.

Mouse: JENNIFER, WOULD YOU LIKE MORE CHICKEN?

Jennifer: NO THANK YOU, MOUSE. IT WAS DELICIOUS, SO WAS THE REST OF THE MEAL. WHY HAVE YOU PRODUCED SUCH A LOVELY DINNER FOR ME, AFTER ALL THOSE MEALS OF SPAGHETTI AND BAKED BEANS OUT OF TINS? I DIDN’T THINK YOU COULD COOK.

Mouse: OH, I JUST WANTED TO. BESIDES, THE LAST SUPPER OF THE CONDEMNED SHOULD BE A GOOD MEAL.

Jennifer: OH?

Mouse: IT SEEMS THAT YOUR FATHER HAS NOT RAISED THE MONEY. BIG MAN AND THE BOSS OF THE GANG, ARE COMING OVER TOMORROW. ALONG WITH JACK.

Jennifer: JACK?

Mouse: JACK THE SNIP.

Mouse pantomimes the action of scissors.

Jennifer: OH.

Mouse: THEY SAID WHAT THEY...

Jennifer: WHAT?

Mouse: OH, NOTHING.

Jennifer: COME ON, MOUSE, TELL ME.

Mouse: I DON’T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR LAST...

Jennifer: NIGHT.

Mouse looks down, nods.

Jennifer: WHAT WILL HAPPEN? WILL THEY KILL ME?

Mouse, abjectly: NO, OR NOT RIGHT AWAY.

Jennifer: WHAT THEN?

Mouse, weakly: THEY WILL CUT OFF YOUR RING FINGER, FOR YOU WON’T BE MUCH USE AS A WIFE AFTER THEY HAVE FINISHED WITH YOU.

Jennifer: CAN YOU HELP ME?

Mouse, looking down. MAYBE I CAN ASK THEM FOR A FEW MORE DAYS. BUT THEY ARE WATCHING ME. SNIP.

Mouse shuddered.
Jennifer stretched across the table and touched his hand: EVERYTHING WILL BE OK. WHATEVER HAPPENS. YOU’VE BEEN A GENTLEMAN.

Mouse, patting her hand: THANKS. WOULD YOU LIKE SOME DESERT?

Lights fade.

MTC

ST. Thanks for your approbation, @Caesar73

LunaDog
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LunaDog »

StringTheorist wrote: 4 months ago Thanks @LunaDog

Its nice to hear my stories are a little different.

Next instalment follows. Maybe. I keep getting some SQL errors. ST
You're welcome. Especially as you're kept up the superb standard!
StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Day 7

Lights come up in the living room. Father, Mother, Grandmother, Betty, John and Gord present. Father dressed for travel, with a top coat ready to put on. Mother dishevelled. Grandmother knitting. Betty in a pretty print dress. Mother and father pacing around. Two large suitcases and a smaller one are standing to the left of the door, the smaller one furthest away.

John: NO CALL YET.

Grandmother: SOON, I FEEL IT IN MY BONES.

Lights fade slightly in living room

Lights come up in the apartment. Clock reads 10:35

Jennifer is standing on the books, right hand held high in the air, left hand tied to a rope around her waist, blindfolded. Mouse just completing a Sudoku, checks the page off with s smile.

Outside door opens. Jack come in first, looks around, then two others come in, Big Man, and The Big Boss.

Big Boss walks around Jennifer, pinches her bottom: NICE MEAT.

The Big Boss looks her over, than to Mouse: IS SHE OK?

Mouse, cautiously, almost cringing: YES, BOSS.

The Big Boss to Big Man: GET STARTED. I WANT THAT MONEY PRONTO. I’VE LOST A FORTUNE ON THE MARKET THIS WEEK.

Big Man to Mouse: MAKE THE CALL.

Mouse takes out his cell phone and piece of paper, enters some numbers, swears to himself, tries again: WRONG NUMBER.

There is a faint sound of a phone ringing for a few seconds.
Nervously, Mouse re-enters a long string of numbers from the sheet.

Lights come back up in living room.

Phone rings in living room, John picks it up.

John: HELLO?

Mouse hands the phone to The Big Boss

The Big Boss: IS THIS JENNIFER’S FATHER?

John: NO, I’M HELPING THE FAMILY.

The Big Boss: THEN YOU’RE A COP. PUT HER FATHER ON.

Big Man pinches Jennifer hard on the waist. Jennifer screams.

The Big Boss: PUT HER FATHER ON.

John: LOOK, I’M HELPING OUT THE FAMILY, YOU CAN TALK TO ME.

The Big Boss, turning to Jack, loudly so he can be heard over the phone: HAVE YOU GOT YOUR SNIPPERS?

Jack, rummaging in his pocket: YES, HERE THEY ARE.

Jack holds up a wicked looking set of garden clippers, activates them with a snip sound.

The Big Boss: GET READY TO CUT OFF HER FINGER.

John: WAIT A MINUTE.

The Big Boss: YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS. TWENTY NINE, TWENTY EIGHT...

Jennifer screams. Mother screams.

There is a big bang in the apartment. The cell phone gets dropped as the gangsters look around.

The door at the back flies open and 4 police officers dash in, pointing guns. One of the officers is the police chief.

Police Chief: DON’T MOVE. RAISE YOUR HANDS.
The gangsters raise their hands. Officers go over to each of the Big Boss, Big Man, and Jack.

John, in the living room, pushing at his ear, looking at the phone: SOMETHING HAPPENED, BUT I CAN’T HEAR ANYTHING NOW.

Lights slowly fade in the living room.

Police Chief in apartment to the gangsters: YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT. ANYTHING YOU SAY OR DO MAY BE USED AGAINST YOU. YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO A LAWYER. YOU WILL BE CHARGED WITH KIDNAPPING, FORCIBLE CONFINEMENT, THREATENING GRIEVOUS BODILY HARM, ATTEMPTED EXTORTION.

Police Chief: CUFF THEM, STARTING WITH THIS MAN, THEN TAKE THEM OUT ONE AT A TIME AND TAKE THEM TO THE STATION IN YOUR CRUISER.

Police Chief points to The Big Man, then the Big Man, then Jack the Snip.

One by one the gangsters are cuffed and lead away.

Mouse meanwhile starts to release Jennifer.

Jennifer: to Police Chief: WHAT ABOUT THIS MAN?

Police Chief: HE’S MY UNDERCOVER MAN. ONE OF US.

Mouse smiles apologetically at Jennifer: I’M SORRY FOR WHAT I HAD TO DO. I’VE BEEN INFILTRATING THIS GANG FOR THREE YEARS. I DIDN’T PLAN FOR YOUR KIDNAPPING, BUT IT TURNED OUT WELL. THE OFFICERS HAVE BEEN NEXT DOOR LISTENING ALL THE TIME, SO YOU WERE SAFE ALL THE TIME. BUT IT WAS AN OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH THE BIG MAN.

Police Chief: DO YOU WANT TO CALL YOUR PARENTS AND TELL THEM YOU ARE SAFE?

Jennifer thinks for a moment: NO, I WANT TO GO HOME AND TELL THEM MYSELF, AND YOU...

Jennifer grabs Mouse by the ear

Jennifer: ...ARE COMING WITH ME.

Jennifer marches Mouse out the door.

Lights fade in the apartment.

Lights living room come up.

Gord: THE LAST CALL CAME FROM MYANMAR.

Mother: MIRAMAR? ISN’T THAT A MILITARY BASE NEAR SAN DIEGO? SHE’S NEARLY HOME.

Betty: NO MOTHER, IT WAS MYANMAR, FORMERLY BURMA.

Mother: THAT’S NEAR INDIA? THEY’LL BE COOKING HER IN CURRY THEN THE INDIANS WILL EAT HER ALIVE. MY POOR JENNIFER. SHE DOESN’T LIKE CURRY.

Grandmother, still knitting: I DON’T THINK SO. SHE’S NEAR, I FEEL IN MY BONES.

Outside door opens and Jennifer comes in dragging Mouse.

All: JENNIFER, YOU’RE SAVE.

Pandamonium. Nearly everyone is in tears, all talking at once, save Grandmother. Gord starts to dismantle his equipment, and Betty goes over to help.

Jennifer, screaming: QUIET.

People quiet down.

Jennifer, holding Mouse’s hand: THIS MAN IS MOUSE, HE HELD ME CAPTIVE. BUT HE’S NOT A BAD GUY, HE’S AN UNDERCOVER AGENT AND WAS A TRAP FOR SOME BIG BAD GUYS. HE KEPT ME SAFE.

Jennifer: HE DOESN’T KNOW IT, BUT HE’S GOING TO MARRY ME.

Pandamonium.

Grandmother: I TOLD YOU SO.

Mouse escapes and comes over to Gord, they shake hands.

Gord: CONGRATULATIONS ON NABBING THE BIG BOSS. WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART?
Mouse: DOING SUDOKU.

Gord: BUT YOU USED TO DO THEM IN YOUR SLEEP.

Mouse: I STILL DO THEM IN MY HEAD. BUT I HAD TO PRETEND TO BE A DUMMY. THAT LADY WAS TEACHING ME HOW TO DO THEM.

Gord: WHAT WILL HAPPEN NOW?

Mouse: WELL, I THINK I’LL BE OFF UNDERCOVER NOW. I’VE GOT SOME VACATION TO TAKE.

Jennifer has come over and takes his hand: WELL, I KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR A VACATION.

Jennifer leads Mouse towards the door, picks up one of the two suitcases that contain the ransom money and says to her Father: THANKS FATHER, THIS WILL BE MY DOWRY.

Jennifer leads Mouse out the door: DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT I SAID ABOUT MY PERIOD? IT’S NOT TRUE, AND I KNOW OF THIS SMALL APARTMENT THAT’S NOT OCCUPIED...AND I WILL GET TO USE THE ROPES.

Father, looking at the disappearing suitcase: WELL, WELL. ACTUALLY THIS INCIDENT WAS FORTUTIOUS. I SOLD EVERYTHING AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK. THE STOCK MARKET HAS DROPPED SO MUCH, I WOULD HAVE LOST MUCH MORE THAN THE RANSOM.

Gord and Betty have finished packing his stuff up, and begin to move to the door. Gord has his case in his right hand, Betty on his left. As Betty passes the remaining suitcase with half the ransom, Betty stoops and picks it up, smiles at the crowd, and walks out with her arm under Gord’s arm.

Mother, crying: MY BABIES, THEY’VE GONE. She runs out.

Father drifts to the door, stoops and picks up the other suitcase: I NEED A VACATION.

Father goes out the outside door.

Grandmother: FINISHED

Grandmother holds up a baby outfit she has just knitted, then picks up her needles and wool.

Grandmother: I BETTER START ANOTHER.

Lights fade. Curtain.

The end. ST
StringTheorist
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by StringTheorist »

Thanks @LunaDog . I hope the conclusion is up to your standard.

I used to help at a community theatre on the stage crew. I wanted to learn more about lighting so I wrote the story as something I could plan some aspects of this part of stage craft. I had to revise it just to give it from the audience perspective; the actors and crew work from their perspective - stage left is audience right etc. I hope I didn't leave too much confusion.

ST
LunaDog
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LunaDog »

StringTheorist wrote: 4 months ago Thanks @LunaDog . I hope the conclusion is up to your standard.

I used to help at a community theatre on the stage crew. I wanted to learn more about lighting so I wrote the story as something I could plan some aspects of this part of stage craft. I had to revise it just to give it from the audience perspective; the actors and crew work from their perspective - stage left is audience right etc. I hope I didn't leave too much confusion.

ST
My 'standard?' Nothing special about me, i assure you. Let's just say that i've THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading the efforts of your labours here, my friend. Which i guess says it all.

And thank you for explaining just where your, clear, 'love of the stage' and knowledge of it comes from. You've done a GREAT job here, in my opinion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic