Shelter from the Dust (M/M) - 23 Nov Update!

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
Guardianbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Guardianbound »

I knew Eaton means trouble in the short term for Avel and Kai. Hopefully the three will become allies soon enough.

Part of me wants to see the emperors plan for dominion succeeding so Avel can take over :lol:
Banner by bondagefreak --- Link to my stories: Click Here

gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

Layers upon layers, scheming upon scheming... Will Eaton be successful in trying to charm Avel? And of course, will Senma be successful? The Emperor's plans and Cyrus' machinations! Poor Kai and Avel are up to their necks in plots!
My M/M Stories Here
harveygasson
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by harveygasson »

Oooh more plans afoot
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

@Guardianbound  @gag1195 @DeeperThanRed  @bondagefreak  @Straitjacketed  @wataru14 @MaxRoper @KidnappedCowboy
@OlderJ  @that1kid13 @Bootmark @squirrel @sharpliketoday @noescape @Croup @harveygasson  @Subboi

"Commander, all due respect here, but I don't believe you." Kai said bluntly. The words ripped out of him despite himself - the words of the Walker of the Wastes, not the Bloody Jewel.

Cyrus' eyes widened in surprise, but Yam Mayim gave a booming laugh. "And why is that, boy?"

"You are the Lord of the Sun's Rest. The Liberator and the Enslaver. Nothing you do has ever been for a singular purpose - you have strategies for maoing strategies. I was your chief tactical officer for years, Commander. You owe me honesty for all the years of loyal service I gave you."

Yam Mayim stood then, face unreadable. Cyrus slid off his lap and moved to perch on the arm of the sofa.. Kai stood as well, and found that the Emperor was taller, broader, older, smarter. Superior. There'd be no question of who would win.

But he could put up a good fight indeed.

Yam Mayim offered him a hand instead. A warrior's handshake, a bond of honor even deeper than guest rights. They clasped each other's forearms, and Yam Mayim sat down, businesslike.

"I am aging, Kai. No matter how well I look after myself, no matter the power or protections I gather, Old Age will come with her iron fetters and drag me to the doors of Death. I do not fear dying, but I need... assurances. My daughter Yiska shall become Emperor after my death. She is beloved by the people, wise beyond her years, and the army values her as a general as well as royal. I need her surrounded by those I trust. I love my eldest son, but... I need him stymied so he does not lunge for the throne. I may yet have him married off as a hostage to some nation in the East, but it's always good to have backups.

"But we come to you, Kai. And even in this, I have ulterior motives. You were a trusted agent. I enjoyed having an advisor with such skill married with total loyalty under my command. And while I would enjoy greatly having you provide the same loyalty to my daughter, there are two points you will be made privy to.

"The first is that you are a mystery, Kai. My council, even I, are not sure if your boundless loyalty wavers or not. You live apart from any nation in the Wastes, and until now, this was acceptable. But in a time soon approaching war, to be neutral is to be more than just a potential enemy. I wish to claim you once more, for the assurance of all that the Bloody Jewel still belongs to Makaranth.

"And though you may think I have no care for my sweet Avel, I worry for him. Even beyond his bond to a man whose allegiance I cannot yet assure myself of, he is kept within the Wastes. I wish to provide for him, to give him a life free from want. To in some way assure him that his father does care."

Kai remained silent as the Emperor finished. He considered a long moment. And then, finally, he spoke. "I have built this home for myself. Without your help. I have kept my skills from your service, yes, but neither have I aided your enemies. We come from nothing and rose to great heights, my lord. Ambition is a danger, most certainly... but you have naught to fear from me.

"For your second point, I have given your son the life you hope. I see to his needs, his wishes. I rule him as he desires to be ruled, and love him the way he both needs and deserves. And I would fight til the world ran red to protect him, even from you. With all apology, Commander, you do not have my fealty anymore. He does. You once told me something years ago. That a true Dominus becomes the greatest slave. I am your son's.

"I will not allow the removal of my dearest one from this house against his will. And I will not allow his marriage without his consent. But... you are my Commander. I do not think our situation is without compromise..."

You can find my M/M stories here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38809#p38809
harveygasson
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by harveygasson »

Seems like he might have a cunning plan
gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

Of course, I'm wondering what Kai is plotting! Is he hoping to out maneuver The Emperor and Cyrus? Sweeten the deal before accepting?

And while this conversation is happening, conniving Eaton is trying to charm poor Avel! Who is going to come out on top in their respective conversations?
My M/M Stories Here
Socksbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Socksbound »

I genuinely have no idea how this is going to unfold. Great work Volo you’ve got me questioning every detail to gain a hint into what’s to follow
See all my written works here :
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38747#p38747

Banner by Bondagefreak
Guardianbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Guardianbound »

I can't wait for the next chapter! Compromise how?

And I do hope Avel withstands Eaton's charms, all of Kai's may go poof just because of a momentary lapse of judgment.

Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

@Guardianbound  @gag1195 @DeeperThanRed  @bondagefreak  @Straitjacketed  @wataru14 @MaxRoper @KidnappedCowboy
@OlderJ  @that1kid13 @Bootmark @squirrel @sharpliketoday @noescape @Croup @harveygasson  @Subboi

Beasts of burden were mostly unsuited to travel through the Wastes. Thus the "stable" was meant for human habitation. There was an actual stable, but it was a much smaller building.

The slave stable was a staple of building design across the West. A longhouse built onto the grounds, meant purely for the restraint of prisoners and slaves. In some cases it was converted into an actual house, but Kai's stable was segmented into half guest house, half cellblock, for Hale's use whether he wished to be guest or prisoner. The cellblock side of the longhouse had no windows, to protect from the dust, and was dimly lit by luminescent stones built into wall sconces.

Eaton understood that this was not an escapable building, but escape had long passed from his mind. Even if he escaped the building, the fortress was closed. And beyond the gates, the Imperial Guard. Beyond the Guard, the Army of the Sun. Beyond the army, the Wastes.

Passing by the first cell automatically, Avel led Eaton and Mikal to the second.

Avel fretted over Eaton, who was still breathing heavily from the mouthful of dust he inhaled. He frowned. "We should let him rest a bit more or he could choke."

Under Mikal's watch, there was no legitimate way he would be able to get free on his own, but...

"Can't... can't breathe!" Eaton started to hyperventilate and struggle wildly, simulating a panic attack. Going lightheaded, he recognized Mikal holding him still with a mildly painful pinch to a certain point of his neck that made him seize up, while Avel undid the intricate chains.

Gods damn it all! With Mikal and his damned finger pinch, Eaton couldn't force his arms to obey him fast enough, as his upper arms contracted against his torso. His body was free, except for the leg hobblers, and he couldn't escape. Unable to lunge for Avel to hold him hostage, unable to roll for the exit.

Avel, unknowing of all this, gently rubbed Eaton's hands with his own. "Better?"

Eaton gave the prince a pleading look. "Please don't restrain me. I can't bear it anymore. I need to move. Lock me in this cell if you have to but just don't mmmph!"

Mikal had clamped his other hand over Eaton's mouth and nose. Eaton thrashed as much as he could despite the pain from the pinching nerves but his body failed him and the lack of air foiled him.

Avel just seemed confused at the display.

"The young king here was attempting to elicit your sympathy, my prince. Use you as a lockpick for him."

Eaton was forced onto a stone bench set into the wall, and he noticed the thick metal shackles protruding from the wall on either side of his head. Mikal jabbed him in the solar plexus, and Eaton could breathe no more, gasping wildly as Mikal simply forced his arms up and into the shackles. He left the leg hobbles as they were, giving him no reprieve, and began to reprepare the muzzle.

"Look, Your Majesty. I know you have no reason to trust me. But I will make sure no more harm comes to you in my care. My people are harsh, but not cruel. We would not torture a beaten man." Avel said softly.

Eaton only gave him a disbelieving look as he continued to wheeze.

Mikal chuckled. "I shall stand watch, Your Highness. Enjoy the prisoner."

Avel raised an eyebrow, slightly confused at this development. Why would Mikal leave the cell?

But Eaton was taking the opportunity, finally having regained his wind. "I heard them discussing the prince who fled the palace. Was that you?"

Avel nodded.

"You can't be an idiot, then - you have to know your father isn't happy about it. He's probably going to make an example out of you." Eaton hissed lowly. When Avel did not speak, he snarled. "I might be your only hope. Can I trust you?"

Avel knew one thing for certain. Mikal was listening. And judging. How he acted could save or damn him. "What would you know? You've been imprisoned." An innocuous response, not a declaration of loyalty.

Eaton smiled, and Avel knew Eaton took it the opposite way. "Before I was captured, before the Siege of the South. Shiplord Senma went a-sailing down the coast. He'll take Makaranth with one hand bound behind his back since the army's caught up here. I just need you to delay them a day, maybe two, and we have a chance to end the occupation of my land. I beg you, prince to prince. Son to son."

I'm sorry. Even if I could help you... my Master and I come first. Avel shoved the muzzle back on Eaton, the plug clicking against his teeth as it filled his mouth once more. The young king gave an outraged cry as Avel yanked his head forward to bind it shut. "Mikal! Now!"

Mikal entered with padlocks ready - far too quickly to have not been listening, so Avel knew he was right. "There is a plot to attack the capital in the offing!" He told the guard, just to ensure Mikal would know whose side he was on.

Mikal nodded. "Come with me, my prince. Let the young king come to terms with his new reality."

Avel followed Mikal out. "In truth, my prince, this too has been a test by your father. Shiplord Senma has been a captive of the Empire since the siege began - while Lord Cyrus managed the ones on land, the Emperor had us spy on the ports and apprehend Senma before he had left the northern coast."

"You mean...?"

"Young King Eaton has been living on a false hope for months, now, and I may gladly report to your father that you remain a loyal and wise prince..."

You can find my M/M stories here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38809#p38809
ATOne
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by ATOne »

Oh I’m just loving this story, can’t wait for more!
Socksbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Socksbound »

Good boy Avel.

Banner by Bondagefreak
gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

There's some version of this story that ends very poorly for Avel, had he not been lucky enough to happen upon Kai's fortress. His loyalty to his master first, then his family/country just saved his bacon!

I do feel bad for Eaton though. He's desperate, and I can't blame him for trying, for holding onto that hope of victory... I wonder how he will fare with this very crushing information and the failure of his little scheme...
My M/M Stories Here
Guardianbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Guardianbound »

Applause for Avel. That should help Kai and his plan for a compromise with the Emperor.

DTaped79
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by DTaped79 »

I'm actually genuine invested in the plot. Very good.
KidnappedCowboy
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by KidnappedCowboy »

Intrigue...love it!

Avel is one smart cookie, making sure Mikal believes he is loyal to the Emperor.

And as for Eaton, he's one smart cookie, too...trying to turn Avel. He must be disappointed at the turn of Avel on him.

Best for Avel to keep Eaton guessing.

Well done, @Volobond!!!

Love it! :twisted:
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

@OlderJ  @that1kid13 @Bootmark @squirrel @sharpliketoday @noescape @Croup @harveygasson  @Subboi@ATOne@DTaped79

"Do tell, son." Yam Mayim said, looking intently at Kai. "What compromise do you see?"

"You worry about your son being out of your territory, and myself living away from the Empire. A solution there is simple. Claim the Wastes. With the South fallen, the Wastes is the next logical step, no? You turn the Wastes from a natural border to a defensive wall between the capitol and its territories."

The Emperor chuckled. "That is a tempting solution. And with how difficult you are to reach without the tools that I have at my disposal, I can be assured my son is safe."

Kai nodded. "And herein lies the compromise. I desire my seclusion. A peaceful life is the greatest gift I am capable of bringing myself and my dearest one. Your heir - she has brilliant tacticians at her beck and call, and Guards Mikal and Delos will be as formidable agents as she could ask for. Guide your supply routes and military paths away from my home, and no one will find us."

Yam Mayim waited, allowing Kai to continue.

"With my fortress a mystery to all but you, you have a secret retreat. Visit us. Bring a prisoner. Keep someone here. But allow me and your son our freedom that by your own terms we have won."

The Emperor stood then. "It is not what I wish. But... it is acceptable. Adaptability is the mark of wisdom in a leader. However, I must add a final two conditions."

"State them, Commander." Kai said, unwavering.

"You will marry Avel. I will have him tied to you, and by extension you tied to me, in every way possible. I consider securing your loyalty an adequate use of Avel's status as prince. This alliance is desirable to me."

Kai took his turn to wait for the rest of it.

"And here, now, is your final test. I would have you submit to me, and prove your loyalty, though changed, does not falter.

"I would have you allow me to bind you, to stop your mouth, and take your sight."

Kai froze. He was loathe to surrender any freedoms, especially to such a formidable opponent. The Emperor could easily snatch Avel and run. Or slit his throat. But then... the Emperor could still do that. Kai would fight, yes, and likely wound him, but Yam Mayim would prevail. So... why?

Was loyalty that important to him, then? He needed to know his son, more tenacious than expected, was loyal. That his old advisor and right hand still remained loyal. Kai wouldn't be surprised if Eaton was some kind of test too.

And this, Kai knew, was the cost of the concessions he had negotiated. So, although his body screamed in protest, Kai forced himself to stand, remove his tunic, and kneel.

Yam Mayim moved quickly, deftly, using the black cord Cyrus withdrew from his voluminous robes. Kai found himself expertly imprisoned in a utilitarian net of rope, back bowed so his wrists and ankles were connected in a line and anchored down towards his back to discourage struggling. Not that he would've made the attempt at such a useless interval.

When he had been blindfolded by a broad band of cloth and gagged with another wad of fabric, he waited, and listened.

There was a final ritual in training to be an Imperial Guard. To be bound by the Emperor himself at dawn at one end of Makaranth, and to escape and reach him by sundown. But the reason it was ritual and not test was that escape was not the goal. Submission was. None would be able to escape the versatile and efficient bondage the Emperor put them in, and they would struggle for hours, making their limbs raw and bloody and screaming themselves hoarse into their gags. But the purpose of the ritual was to learn that it was not their own will to escape they could rely on, but the Emperor's will to set them free.

And here, Kai knew that this was the purpose of this final ritual too. To submit so the Emperor could set him and Avel free.

So Kai did not struggle. And he began to breathe deeply, awaiting the return of Avel, his dearest love.

Guardianbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Guardianbound »

This chapter really delivered for me 8-)

Kai submitting himself to the emperor, to be bound, blindfolded and gagged, Avel is going to be shocked when he returns!!

The next stage would be to bind Avel to an already bound Kai, then have them struggle like those imperial guards.... oh one can hope.

Can we really trust the emperor though, or Cyrus for that matter, perhaps this is simply a ploy to pluck Kai out of the Wastes. Poison dart in the neck and Kai wakes up sacked and gagged on the way back to Markaranth.

Socksbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Socksbound »

What a terrific chapter. Avel is definitely going to be shocked upon his return. Wonder if he’ll act out before being filled in on what’s to happen

Banner by Bondagefreak
gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

Certainly a serious test of trust. Kai's right, it would be beyond easy for the Emperor to simply gather up all the men in the fortress and trundle them all back to the palace in various forms of restraint! Hopefully, Avel passing the little test of loyalty with Eaton will keep things in their corner, small as that corner seems to be... There's two very clear, very different paths out of this situation... I wonder which one our characters will end up walking down...
My M/M Stories Here
harveygasson
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by harveygasson »

Really interesting next part and I look forward to seeing how Kai and Avel continue with what the Emperor wants
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

@Guardianbound @gag1195 @DeeperThanRed @bondagefreak @Straitjacketed @wataru14 @MaxRoper @KidnappedCowboy
@OlderJ @that1kid13 @Bootmark @squirrel @sharpliketoday @noescape @Croup @harveygasson @Subboi@ATOne@DTaped79

Some time ago...

The Northern Kingdoms were a conglomerate of states under the overall leadership of Queen Esme the Mechanist. They used to call her a mighty sorceress - still did, even though here sorcery had revealed itself in gyroscopic carriages, machinery powered by flowing water, simple automatons, and a mechanized cart dragged along a track between villages by a series of windmill stations.

King Belrun had been a rakish brute of a warrior. A raider and conquerer of the Northern Kingdoms. He had abducted Esme as a village maiden for her beauty, and ruled her as he ruled everything else until, twenty years ago now, she got ahold of a devilish device from the craftsman Eun-min. A tiny cage she locked upon the king when he was deep in his cups.

With his little king thus jailed, Esme wasted no time in stripping her husband of his powers, rights, and his very senses. King Belrun was locked in his own torture chamber and kept in sensory deprivation and isolation until he broke. The Broken King spent his days at her feet like a puppy, wearing only his shackles, a muzzle, and artfully wrapped ribbons that did little to conceal his locked manhood - Esme had melted down the key herself.

Cyrus was the youngest of the Artificer-Queen's five children by the Broken King. Born the same year Belrun lost his name. He inherited his mother's craft and wit, but unlike his siblings, he honed his charm and not his hands - an orator and storyteller, not an artisan or engineer.

Cyrus was thought to be a witch by many of the people of North, much like his mother. They claimed his seidr, his magic, rested in his voice. But really, Cyrus simply learned from an early age how to bend, accommodate, and twist his words. Only Queen Esme saw how treacherous her son's study of the mind could be, just how dangerous his skill at predicting and manipulating behavior could be.

And thus she kept him at arms' length. Never let him see how she worked - he had too much of her in him for her comfort. So Cyrus grew up dismissed by his siblings, barred from helping make policy or plan initiatives. Other princes might have been satisfied with a life free of both responsibility and power, but Cyrus had inherited his father's ambition. And yet this also paled under the boy's one simple, greatest desire.

To be loved, and to be beloved. To be treated as an equal, trusted by just one person, at least.

Cyrus had lived for nineteen winters when he first met the Emperor Yam Mayim. The North and the West were trade partners, if not allies, likely because they both had territories in harsher climes. But the blues and whites of the North were nothing like the red and gold of the West. To Cyrus, a king made of fire and sunlight had burst into the library. A giant of a man approached him, dark hair starting to pepper with silver.

"Prince Cyrus. You do not join your mother in counsel?" He tilted his head.

Cyrus blushed, averting his eyes from the gaze of the Emperor and noting just how handsome he looked, dressed in the manner of a soldier. "No, milord. I am... in study."

"Ah. I see." Yam Mayim approached, gently lifting a tome from the stack Cyrus had already collected. "And is that by your own decision?"

"I..." Cyrus shut his mouth. "Do your children all participate in matters of state, milord?"

"When they have reached a certain age and level of experience, they are expected to engage in statecraft, yes. I have great value for the learning of scholars, but to remain untempered by experience makes any knowledge theory at best." The Emperor said. He sat upon a bench, the height difference between them far less daunting now.

"My mother believes my skills best suited to diplomacy and ambassadorship. And not ruling." Cyrus admitted. "I have not set foot within the council chamber for a decade."

"You must have ideas. Important ones floating in your mind after a decade of naught but study."

"I do! I could make just as much a difference as anyone else if I could be heard." Cyrus said earnestly, almost pleadingly. "But no matter how I wheedle and hint, my siblings won't ask her for me, and she won't talk to me about it."

"You know, my prince, I was once a lowly slave. I spent years in toil, kept from learning to read or write. I know what a terrible thing it is to be silenced, to have no voice. So sit with me. And let us talk. You must tell me of your study, and your grand ideas. And when you speak to me, do not speak to an Emperor. Teach a lowly slave who has as little voice as you do."

Cyrus would have done anything for him then. But as Yam Mayim continued to return, continued to ask questions and treat Cyrus like an equal, even with deference, the initial thrill became a deep infatuation. Over the months of letters and correspondance when he left, and even when he returned a year later for another diplomatic envoy. And when, one morning, Cyrus kissed the Emperor on the cheek in greeting, the Lord of the Sun pulled him into his lap and kissed him with the heat of the celestial flame itself.

It was Cyrus who theorized that the Empire would be better served by consolidating its resources. His research, ignored by his Queen, proved deeply useful to his Emperor. Cyrus spent the next few months visiting some key commoners - artisans and engineers - and securing their loyalty for the Empire. He worked with the palace guards and servants and charmed the uneducated farmers and peasants, promising them better opportunity under the Empire.

Yam Mayim bound him in red rope that fateful night. Kissed him, made him feel so truly alive.

"I had wished to make you Imperial Governor, my prince, but... I am only a man, and I am selfish. If you give yourself to me... I will love you as the tide loves the shore. As the flower loves the sun. You will be my agent and advisor. My dearest."

Cyrus knew the rope binding him, keeping his arms folded behind his back and his ankles connected to his thighs could be gone and he would feel the same - completely vulnerable. Submitting totally. "I am yours, my lord. My... my love."

They made love then, as Cyrus' peasant forces worked with the Imperial army to invade the palace and seize the throne. Within the week, as the prince turned one-and-twenty, he was on his way to Makaranth, the Northern Kingdoms part of the Empire and not even letting a whisper slip that anything had changed. But soon, Cyrus would help that change. The Emperor's courtesan, advisor... lover... and partner.

harveygasson
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by harveygasson »

Good to see some more details on Cyrus' past. Definitely a host of interesting characters
Guardianbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Guardianbound »

Would be such a shame if the Emperor was playing with Cyrus' feelings! :(

And we have another mention of this craftsman Eun-min, let's not forget Kai also has history with him ;)

Lastly, I hope the Queen got a good ending, Emperor should recognise game when he sees it, she almost won the game of thrones!

gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

I'm also worried that there's a sinister reasoning behind the Emperor's courtship of Cyrus. Though, perhaps I am just a bit paranoid.

Also, I have to know that Esme is fine. She's fabulous and I love her!
My M/M Stories Here
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

gag1195 wrote: 6 months ago Also, I have to know that Esme is fine. She's fabulous and I love her!
Guardianbound wrote: 6 months ago Lastly, I hope the Queen got a good ending, Emperor should recognise game when he sees it, she almost won the game of thrones!
Esme had never truly wished to be queen anyway, having been a young village girl with her own workshop when Belrun abducted her. So when the peasant revolt came to claim the palace for the Emperor, she handily stepped down at their will - but when the Emperor returned to appoint an Imperial Governor, he lifted the house arrest of the royal family.

He proclaimed it would be a waste of talent and genius not to provide Esme and her more craft-inclined progeny with a workshop and materials, and a cadre of Imperial engineers ready and willing to procure materials for them. Esme spends her days in study and invention, crafting such ingenious things to improve the lot of her people and the people of the Empire.

While Belrun spends day and night cruelly leashed and humiliated, his name all but forgotten, and under Imperial law, legally the property of the same village maid he took as his possession.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic